• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tent poles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

62flint

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got a new tent. What kind of wood should I make the poles out of?
I would like to use oak, But I can not seem to find any.

depends on what kind of tent you have. I have a pyramid tent that I use at rendezvous. I use lodge pole pine.

wb

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if it's just an upright pole, you can most probably get away with pine, which is much more common than oak. a piece of oak of any length over eight feet is going to set you back soem serious money, if you can find one at all.

best of luck

msw

Oak will be both heavy and expensive. Clear spruce or fir are both light & strong & cheaper than oak. We have a museum (large) wedge and my poles are 4x4s, dressed to 3" square and then chamfered to produce octagon cross sections. If it is the appearance of oak that you like, the lighter woods could be stained & varnished. We used a period color paint from Old Village Paints.

Pick a straight grained 2X4 from Lowes or whoever. There are straight grained pieces out there you just have to look. Drill a hole in either end for the spike. You can use a cut off barn nail for the spike. Paint the pine pole to match. I have been using my poles in my big wedge for 20 years and haven't broken one yet.

For a ridge pole you may want to glue and screw two 2X4 together so the ridge pole won't curve when you tighten the tent down. I use an eye bolt in each end of the ridge pole instead of drilling holes through the ridge pole. The eye bolt extends beyond the end of the ridge pole and that is what contacts the upright poles. That way I have a ball and socket joint that won't break poles or ridge pole if the tent gets blown down.

Many Klatch

My son uses 2x2's for his wedge(A) tent and a 2x4 for a the ridge.
I have a dog tent and use 2 real tree branches with crotches for uprights and found a nice 1" 8foot oak dowel I use for the ridge pole.
Yep we do Civil War reenacting. Now for my 7x7 diamond tent I use a 4' sapling. I leave the bark on the real tree items.

I would also use pine, fir, etc. You can stain or paint it to suit you. Here is a recent post of mine regarding ridge poles:

Loc: Mazomanie, Wis.
Registered on 04/08/03

06/11/08 05:50 PM - Post#579652
In response to mothernatureson

What I have done in the past is glue two 1 X 3s together, making sure the grain of one is opposite of the other. Just paint glue on both boards and then clamp/screw together about every 2 feet or so. This makes a very strong ridge pole. If you want an even stronger pole, you could use 1 X 4s the same way. Paint or varnish would be a good idea to protect the glue joint. You can also utilize shorter boards this way, staggering the joints on each side. Emery
I have also made upright poles the same way using two 1 X 2s for each; makes a very sturdy pole!

Another question,

what is the best procedure for setting up the a frame tent. stake the tent first, then the poles? seems we either have the tent staked out too far or not far enough, making the procedure time consuming . Thanks
mothernatureson

Stake down one side. Set the ridge and poles. Position the poles at about half the width of the tent. Put a stake at the base of each pole. Put a looped rope on each pole pin, hoist it up. Hook the ropes on a stake to hold the tent in place, and start staking it down. Then make adjustments. I'm 63, weight 175, and can set a 12x12 bell wedge, by myself in this manner.

mothernatureson said:
Another question,

what is the best procedure for setting up the a frame tent. stake the tent first, then the poles? seems we either have the tent staked out too far or not far enough, making the procedure time consuming . Thanks
mothernatureson

We stake the corners on one side & then pull out a cord with knots in it that mark the width and the digonal measurements of the tent. Using the cord to locate the other two corners, we stake them. Put the poles (ridge & 2 verticals) together inside and walk it up. Then I can peg the sides & bell while Mrs Coot sets gear inside. Quick, easy & can't remember having to reset.

Back