• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tent making

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StewartLeach

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I grew up in New Hampshire, and did a lot of camping with the old BSA Tarp Tent, sort of a souped up diamond shelter with a lot more ties. After relocating to Colorado I made several tarp tents. The one made of modern coated nylon worked well, but didn't smell right. Made one out of fabric store twill that was reasonably light and lasted well. Made another out of #40 pocket drill fabric that has proven very durable. #40 also makes good heavy duty shooting patches for my 58 cal Renegade.

One of the keys to making tents out of these fabrics, or painters drop cloths, is to "full" the fabric by washing and drying it on the machines hottest settings. This will shrink the fabric and tighten the weave. Getting the sizing out lets the fabric take up waterproofing better. Long ago woolen fabrics were "densified' like this by a process involving urine, and you could tell a "Fuller" by their smell. Tom Fuller, the English gunflint knapper, probably had ancestors who ran a fulling mill.

The best ties are made by cutting two inch strips off the selvage edges of the fabric, then folding in thirds with the selvage on the outside. Stitch a line down the center. The selvage edge is the long uncut edge, where the threads are doubled back into the weave.

This kind of sewing is not for the Wally Mart $79.95 machines. Best is an old rotary bobbin Singer. The Viking machines made by Husqvarna (yeah, they make chain saws) are great.

I really prefer to treat homemade tarps with a commercial waterproofing. Canvak works well, and NikWax mages a really effective and easy to apply product for cotton fabrics.

After writing this, I'm gonna have to sleep under a diamond at some of the CSMLA doings this summer.

White Fox

Latest posts

Back