• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Shelter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I apologize uproot for the long post, however I very much hope this helps anyone who has wondered about making their own shelter, it can certainly be done!

For awhile I've been wanting to aquire a portable, easy to pitch shelter that could serve multiple rolls besides just being a shelter. Plus for those who know my workings, I'll always try to manufacture my own quality gear before buying... I take great pride in that.

After much research and thinking I finally came up with what I feel is the solution to my specific needs.

To start, there are many ways one can create their own shelter. Many materials and methods are available to conform to many needs. This particular one is what I've settled on after looking into many others, while not the easiest or potentially the best way, I took allot into consideration and am very happy with the results.

Canvas... IMO the only way to go, however one must be VERY PICKY on their selection of canvas. The common painters tarp seems to be the most popular and readily available. HOWEVER... again one must be very particular on their selection. IMO, nothing under 10oz was acceptable to me. After looking at many box stores I was unhappy with their offerings. So, I went to a Sherwin Williams and hit the jackpot. I inspected the weave, sewing and overall quality of fabric before settling on the purchase. I selected a 9x12, 12oz drop cloth with tight weave, can't stress how important the tight weave is! Naturally canvas or cotton in general shrinks, therefore by washing your tarp in a hot cycle and drying on the highest setting you are shrinking the fibers and closing them up. Your tarp will repell water, however whenever it's touched leaks will begin. I also reinforced all corners and the seam by machine sewing with a heavy linen thread. So here is were we waterproof!

My recipe is one that's proven and works but requires a bit of patience, I must stress that, patience! Yet the results are worth it! The mixture only requires two things... Boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. I purchased exactly 1 gallon of each, you could need more or less depending upon your application techniques or canvas size. Once your materials are gathered and canvas is washed/ dried at least once (twice is better) your ready to waterproof!

Mix your linseed oil with the mineral spirits 50/50 into a large bucket or in my case, a 66qt container for ease of use. Stir very well as you want a good even mix. The mineral spirits act as a drying agent so it's important to mix very well.

From there once mixed, I soaked the canvas in the mixture making sure to absolutely coat every area of the canvas. I allowed the canvas to sit covered in the container for approximately half an hour to soak up as much of the mixture as possible.

After your canvas is thoroughly coated it's off to hang! Here is were the patience comes in, let your piece hang for at least a week or more. Do not touch for the first 48 hours, then flip your piece to promote even drying. Your end result should be a completely water resistant shelter that has a multitude of options for use.

To test the effectiveness of the waterproofing I sat my canvas out in the downpour we've had for the last two days... absolutely bone dry!!! Water literally beads and runs off. While not light (which I wasn't going for in this case) it's not horrible at all, it certainly stiffened up but it's easily worked, rolled or folded.

Most importantly keep in mind it's not fire resistant... I know some will argue that's why you go with modern canvas and what not. That's fine and I respect that, but first off exercise common sense... it's not rocket science. Secondly keep your drying piece in a well ventilated area, again common sense. Certainly don't hang it in the garage attached to your house because for the first week it's going to smell of mineral spirits, as of now the smell has completely dispersed, all that's left is a noticeable but subtle linseed smell, which I already love anyways.

After drying, your left with a straw/light tan coloration on the canvas. Any rit dye can be used before washing and waterproofing, I prefer natural dyes which I'll cover further down.

bkHOH3s.jpg

My cotton ropes and ties, my tiedowns are simply .600 rounballs. All cordage is also waterproofed.

bV8V3Vw.jpg

Simple rope blocks for versatility in setting up different shelter options. Also waterproofed.

psdmeqy.jpg

Coloring... I've dug in and found allot referring to period oilskin being a type of red, here is my example of that. What I've done is use my same 50/50 mixture of waterproofing but also with the addition of two cups iron oxide powder. Applied the same way. I sat this test piece outside with a slip of paper underneath, taped with aircraft speed tape on all corners. No suprise, paper was bone dry. Again you can dye however you wish, personally I want a more period type finish/ coloration so this is what I've settled on.

ITH5nYP.jpg

I also have made and waterproofed a small canvas carry bag for all my ropes, blocks and stakes. Very happy with this project, very much worth the efforts and one that certainly should prove very reliable for years to come!

As an aside - the canvas drop-cloths I purchased from Sherwin Williams shed water without any treatment. They have been in use for 7 or 8 years and through a few torrential downpours without any need to waterproof.

That's good you pointed that out. This particular one did the same, however I wanted the extra security and experience with waterproofing. One wouldn't believe the difference in quality between different drop cloths... I'm glad you have had great success with your's, Sherwin Williams definitely seemed to have the best quality out of the many I've looked over.

I have had three Tipi's, Bakers, Wall and Marquee tents, all made of 100% cotton canvas and none ever leaked in rain or snowy weather. I was told by a Tipi and Tent maker friend, take the cotton fibers swell and expand when wet and actually water proofs the canvas. Also, lighter on old men to set a shelter up!

:haha:

You bet! I've heard the same thing. Allot of what I've been reading goes both ways. Honestly I certainly feel it probably would have been fine without waterproofing as the weave was tight. However, just another thing to mark off the list! It was actually an enjoyable process and certainly worth the efforts. Hardest part was hanging it... oh boy did it weigh a ton! After it dried, very manageable. Without a doubt it's not something I'd be trekking with, personally I prefer my bed roll and bay blankets! Just good to know I have a solid shelter if the need arises while at events and such.

Nice tutorial. Thank you. :thumbsup: I was wondering about a couple things, though.

Is there a reason you used cotton rope instead of hemp?

I wonder what made the original oilskin process have a reddish cast? In your research, did it say that they added color/pignment of some sort or was it just from the BLO and or what they used as a "dryer" in the original process?

Gus

The red color came from the Iron oxide used in the mix. Yellow (also iron oxide) was not uncommon. The linseed oil contributes a tan color.

Oilcloths of other colors have also been documented.

Artificer said:
Nice tutorial. Thank you. :thumbsup: I was wondering about a couple things, though.

Is there a reason you used cotton rope instead of hemp?

I wonder what made the original oilskin process have a reddish cast? In your research, did it say that they added color/pignment of some sort or was it just from the BLO and or what they used as a "dryer" in the original process?

Gus

Thank you!

1. Cotton ropes, ease of availability and still a period material of sorts.

2. The reasoning behind the color, from what I've found is the same reason mine is red... iron oxide. As to why red, what I've concluded is it obviously has allot to do with oxidation (which we know) and other minerals they may have added to the fabric that made it more resilient to the elements and humidity. Also, the straw/tan coloration obviously is from the linseed oil.

The majority of oilskin/ oilcloth waterproofing agents seemed to be an oil/wax mixture. I've read multiple accounts depicting what appears to be bees wax and possibly a tallow/ tar of some kind. Also, linseed oil (true linseed oil) was obviously available and used more frequently it seems.

By no means am I an "expert" on oilcloths, however from what I have found the iron oxide red is very common. My waterproofing method, is it HC...? Maybe not the mineral spirits, or the boiled linseed as it obviously isn't true linseed oil. Without a doubt it certainly has exceeded my expectations.

Crewdawg445 said:
2. The reasoning behind the color, from what I've found is the same reason mine is red... iron oxide.
Here's one made with BLO and yellow iron oxide. As I understand it, the iron oxide was added as a filler. It is finely enough ground to fit into and fill up the empty spaces in the weave, basically converting the cloth into a solid sheet when the BLO dries. Mine is more than 20 years old, the cotton canvas is still strong, neither it nor the thread have deteriorated, and the cloth is not sticky.

Spence

"Here's one made with BLO and yellow iron oxide. As I understand it, the iron oxide was added as a filler. It is finely enough ground to fit into and fill up the empty spaces in the weave, basically converting the cloth into a solid sheet when the BLO dries."

Now that's interesting. Well, the one thing the colonies had in abundance beside wood was Iron. Have to say it surprises me a little they used it for this purpose, though. Thank you. :hatsoff:

Gus

Very nice! Thank you for sharing that information spence, I was hoping you would chime in. Certainly makes sense as I did notice the oxide mixture certainly filled in the fibers once applied.

Artificer said:
"Now that's interesting. Well, the one thing the colonies had in abundance beside wood was Iron. Have to say it surprises me a little they used it for this purpose, though.

I don't know that iron oxide was used to make oilcloth historically. The only actual primary recipe for oilcloth I have collected used lead oxide, not iron oxide. This is from the directions for making a waterproof watch coat from a shirt, in a book about Bouquet's expedition in the F&I war:

"Take a quantity of linseed oil, and boil it gently till one half is diminished, to which put a small quantity of litharge of gold*, and when it is well incorporated with the oil, lay it on with a brush upon the watch-coat, so that it shall be every where equally wet.
"I suppose the watch coat, hung in a garret, or other covered place, and so suspended by crooked pins and packthreads in the extremities of the sleeves and edges of the collar, that one part shall not touch another. In a short time, if the weather is good, it will be dry; when a second mixture of the same kind should be laid on with a brush as before. When the second coat of painting is dry, the grease will not come off and the surtout is a effectual preservative from rain; it is very light to carry, and being pretty full on the back, will not only keep the man dry, but also his pack and ammunition."

Litharge is lead oxide. Litharge of gold is litharge with red lead, Pb3O4, added.

Spence

Neat stuff, I think I will try it.
I want to caution you and the readers to handle these linseed treated cloths with utmost care. Like not wadding them up and tossing them into the corner. Uncured linseed soaked cloths and clean up rags confined in a can or simply piled up can and most certainly will catch fire due spontaneous combustion.
Contaminated rags can do so in a clothes dryer.
Just use care and common sense.

Spence,

There is yet another case where documentation leads to better understanding. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

OK, lead oxide makes more "period" sense because lead was used for both resilience of paint and as a drying agent for oil (linseed oil) based paints in the period.

Of course lead was outlawed from paint in this country from the 1970's due to the toxic level of some children chewing/eating paint chips.

Gus

Artificer said:
There is yet another case where documentation leads to better understanding.
There shouldn't have been any misunderstanding in the first place. When I said "As I understand it, the iron oxide was added as a filler.", I was thinking about making the oilcloth 20 year ago, not in the 18th century, but I didn't make that clear.

Mea culpa.

The recipe I used to make the oilcloth was from Mark Baker in a Muzzleloader article. The iron oxide was from a local potter, it's used in making glazes for pottery.

Spence

Spence,

You have no reason for a mea culpa.

I was asking about why the original colours of waterproofing have often shown a red colour and whether this came from a pigmentation or from the dryer. Your documentation of a type of lead that caused the red colour is from their use of lead as a dryer for the oil base.

The modern use of Iron Oxide is surely a less toxic way of imparting the reddish hue to the modern formula.

IOW, your documentation and information completely answered my questions on the forumala in the period. Thank you again.

Gus

Latest posts

Back