• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wrinkles in Diamond Fly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lshore

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished my first tent which is a diamond fly. It's 12x12 and made of 12oz painter's tarp that I washed and put out in the sun to shrink before I started sewing on it. Today when I set it up, I set up the water sprinkler next to it to see if it would leak, and I had 1 leak in between the two poles where some wrinkles had formed. The wrinkles created channels for the water to pond in and eventually leak. After several attempts of adjusting the tent I couldn't get them out. I even tried adding stake points in between the corners and raising the center pole. I do plan on waterproofing it as it is set up, but will the wrinkles still be a problem? Or should I be happy with 1 leak from a non-treated tent?

Does anyone have a cheaper alternative to Canvak or know of any other place to get it other than Cabela's? It will take 4 gallons of the stuff to treat the 3 pieces of canvas I plan on using, which I would be spending twice as much for waterproofing as the tents themselves. I've heard of boiled linseed oil, but I don't know where to find it and might not use it if it rots the canvas anyways. I've also heard of the Thompsons trick, but I shy away from using it if it is really flammable once applied.

This is all in preparation for a family outing at the Blue Lick State Park Re-enactment in KY. The kids are really excited! Thanks for ya'lls help.

Painters tarp is always tough to use because it's usually such a loose weave, and off the top I think your lucky with just one leak.
I did my first fly with the stuff, I washed it hot, then machine dried it HOT to shrink it, stuffed it all in a bucket and poured about a gallon of Thompsens on it and rolled it around till it was all covered. It took days to dry, and it DID come out water proof, but the smell never went away,,each time I pulled it out of storage and set it up you could smell the stuff, it WOULD go away after it aired a bit,,BLO will do the same.
A trick from tent makers; they useually recomend sealing the seams with bee's wax. Set it up on a hot day in the sun, then rub the seams with a small block of bee's wax. You could maybe do the same with your trouble spots.
Bring along a sheet of plastic, if it looks like rain just cover the whole shebang with a plastic tarp and a few ropes for awhile, :idunno: There's usually a few at vous' that will do that come night time if/when their tent gets really old, it goes up late and comes down early.
It's cheap and keeps ya dry,, :thumbsup:

I have made my 7x7 diamond tent that I use oiut of a painter tarp. If you have a wrinkle that won't come out try Ironing it out. then try the sprinkler method again. If you only have 1 leak in the untreated canvas your ahead of the game. Remember when you were a kid out camping in the rain- and your instructions were to "Not touch the wet canvas" thats where you will get a leak. what happens is that when it rains the fabric will expand as it get wet closing up the open pores of the canvas. If you wish you can use the Thompsons water sealer like mentioned above (I did) but I used a garden sprayer. But you have to remember that any petroleum based waterproofer now makes you tent more susceptable to fire.

I am glad I only have 1 leak, where does someone pick up a block of bee's wax?

Some toilet wax rings are actually 100% Beeswax. You can warm your BLO and slowly melt it into it. I made my groundcloth in that manner. It is waterproof, but not fireproof ~ rather the opposite. Hanging your canvas for a few days outside in shaded area of the yard will do wonders for getting out the smell. It actually takes weeks to get it all out.

I've got a Queen Ann tent and a fly tarp that I made from 12oz canvas drop cloths. I also have a 10' X 10' trekking tarp/diamond fly and a bedroll cover both made from 10oz canvas drop cloths. All were shrunk prior to use.

I have treated the tent and flys with a product called Cerf Kote sold at Sportsmans Warehouse for $25 a gallon. It's a parafin-based liquid that is real easy to apply with an agricultural sprayer. Good stuff. Google it to find a vendor for your area.

The 12oz canvas products are pretty water resistant and I stay dry. The 10oz canvas still allows water to penetrate and you will get damp in a good rain.

Back