• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC White Mountain Carbine Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylecdennis

32 Cal
Reaction score
25 yards. Bottom 3 were first 3 shots top 3 were after adjustment of factory sights. I moved back to 50 yards and couldn’t even see the purple circle. The sights are too coarse. Do you guys have any recommendations for different sights? Thanks in advance Kyle Dennis

Attachments

• 12FE6EA9-454A-4577-916F-60E043367854.jpeg
    12FE6EA9-454A-4577-916F-60E043367854.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 86
Before sight change, try a black circle that is bold. Also for us old guys with less than good eyes, aim for the center of the white and see how you do.

Many suggest a change to peep sights too.

I like to put the sight just below what I am aiming at so I can see it. Might try some paint on the front sight so you can see it better, that is if you don't already have it. A color you consider highly visible, red, bright orange, white ect.

I hated those sights. Put the top edge of the front sight on what you want to hit. In other words, the purple center on your target would only be half visible.
I can tell you from experience that the front sight covers about half a deer at 75 yards.

All good suggestions but sounds like a different sight is needed. Any suggestions? Thank You Gentlemen

I would thin the stock front blade and mount a peep rear. That’s what I use on my White Mountain Carbine and it’s also what I’ve used for years on other carbines. A very effective sighting system.

Ok sounds good. Where can I find a Peep or globe style rear sight to fit this gun. Thanks again guys

I too am checking zero on my White Mountain TC carbine. I put Sally Hansen fluorescent nail polish on the front sight bead and sometimes blade and set it in the half round rear sight notch. The rear sight is adjustable for both windage and elevation. The Thompson Center coil spring lock does have a fly but the simple single trigger is like 8 pound pull and very coarse. Either stoning the sear for smoother trigger or replacing with a double set double phase (two triggers) or double phase single set (single) trigger would be an improvement. Track of the Wolf advertised a replacement double set double trigger but could not find the name of the maker. It would require inletting for it and replacing the trigger guard. Mine is a fairly recent acquisition but three shots at three different big game animals with one shot harvest each is pretty good for this entry level muzzle loader compared to custom made rifles I normally hunt with. Shots made at 15, 35 and 60 yds. As to targets I get cheap Dollar Store or Dollar General 8" lime green paper party plates, staple a 3" aluminum mini pie tie and for 25 yds center a blaze orange dot on the tin. This target shows up well out to 100 yards. I cover the intended point of impact with my front sight bead. Using the same target from 25 to 100 yds gives me a reference for hold over or below. Fortunately one of the ml gun ranges I use have benches at 25, 50 and 100 yds and a target board at 75 yds. I practice offhand, sitting and off cross sticks once the rifle is zeroed for 50 yds off the bench. Before season I shoot wearing the same clothes and backpack and blaze orange vest and cap I would be hunting in and reload from whatever system I will be carrying during the hunt.

Thanks for the information bearded horse. What load bullet combo are you finding to be most productive? Thanks again

So what type of sights are on the White Mountain, the T/C Hawken type with the beaded front and kind of a V shaped rear with a notch or the T/C Renegade type with the flat sided front and the flat topped with rear? Curious about this as I think the Renegade type would give more options as to thinning the sight.
Thanks,
ThreeCrows

The sights are more of the renegade type. Flat sided front and a flat top with a v for the rear.

Ok sounds good. Where can I find a Peep or globe style rear sight to fit this gun. Thanks again guys
Ebay is the most likely. They are not cheap but they fit well. Thompson Center made one and so does the Williams sight company. Look for anything that’s made for the Hawken or Renegade models. Alternatively, if there is a small screw in the top of the breach plug (or you care to drill and tap for one) a Skinner Peep will work as well. The maker has a website.

Back