• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Tang Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just traded for a Thompson Center Renegade .50 muzzleloader that has a 3 hole tang. Is this tang designed for a TC Tang Sight? The tapped middle hole is very small.
Any help from y'all experts would be appreciated. Y'all have always come through.
CK
That is correct. Lots of sights will fit that. Williams and Lyman both are available for it. I use a Williams and I love it.

It is interesting that the barrel marked Renegade as early models were not. The thing about T/C guns, it's not uncommon to find guns with parts mixed from different era models. Kind of like my 46XX Renegade which would seem to be an early model based on it's serial number but with no third hole in the tang. Also, at one time replacement barrels were available from T/C through their custom shop and the way people abuse muzzleloaders through poor maintenance my bet is T/C sold more than one replacement barrel.

Y
It is interesting that the barrel marked Renegade as early models were not. The thing about T/C guns, it's not uncommon to find guns with parts mixed from different era models. Kind of like my 46XX Renegade which would seem to be an early model based on it's serial number but with no third hole in the tang. Also, at one time replacement barrels were available from T/C through their custom shop and the way people abuse muzzleloaders through poor maintenance my bet is T/C sold more than one replacement barrel.
You are probably spot on about that.

Y
I really don't want to drill the tang for a peep sight. Thought about buying a two hole tang and drilling it if I can't find a factory tang sight.
ou going to use the rear most hole with the wood screw and an 8-32 screw for the middle hole. The TC peep fits the spacing as do the Williams FoolProof and the Lyman 57.

I do have another question: does wood have to be trimmed out on the stock for the Williams or Lymans mount correctly?

Well, I have another "opinion"... (~ That wasn't asked for ~)

While the TC Tang Sight is not period correct, it looks OK on a Hawken or Renegade.

But those other "more modern" tang sights -- geez Louise -- you might as well just put a "handle" on it (a rifle scope). To me, they ruin the fine lines and the old-style (mid 1800s Sporting Rifle) look of the TC sidelocks.

Others will disagree, I'm sure.

Anyway, I will PM you some pictures of the TC Tang Sight I have.

Old No7

I do have another question: does wood have to be trimmed out on the stock for the Williams or Lymans mount correctly?
Thanks
I know the Lyman 57 sms needs to be filed. I prefer to file the sight and leave the gun original. I dont have a Williams but I have read it needs no work to fit. There are step by step directions, with pictures here WELCOME to Idaho Lewis’s Muzzleloading Forum. for fitting a Lyman

I'm trying to recall if my early Renegade's tang had three holes, I know early Hawken models did and they were for the Thompson Center tang sight. Maybe someone with an early Renegade will chime in. I have a Renegade in the 46XX range but the tang is not drilled for the T/C peep. However, I bought this gun used and it could be the stock is from a model later than the barrel. Later Hawken models did not have the third hole, nor did my PA Hunter models, Big Boar or Renegade Hunter, single trigger, models I own.

Send a photo of the tang on your Renegade, it might have been drilled after leaving the factory. I've had my Big Boar and a PA Hunter Carbine drilled, wish I wouldn't have now as both need lower front sights to get the elevation I need using the T/C tang mounted peep.

I'm trying to recall if my early Renegade's tang had three holes, I know early Hawken models did and they were for the Thompson Center tang sight. Maybe someone with an early Renegade will chime in. I have a Renegade in the 46XX range but the tang is not drilled for the T/C peep. However, I bought this gun used and it could be the stock is from a model later than the barrel. Later Hawken models did not have the third hole, nor did my PA Hunter models, Big Boar or Renegade Hunter, single trigger, models I own.

Send a photo of the tang on your Renegade, it might have been drilled after leaving the factory. I've had my Big Boar and a PA Hunter Carbine drilled, wish I wouldn't have now as both need lower front sights to get the elevation I need using the T/C tang mounted

Send a photo of the tang on your Renegade, it might have been drilled after leaving the factory. I've had my Big Boar and a PA Hunter Carbine drilled, wish I wouldn't have now as both need lower front sights to get the elevation I need using the T/C tang mounted peep.
I have a .50 Renegade in 333xxx range and just 2 drilled holes. Found a tang on eBay with 3 holes and switched them out to mount a Williams FP-Hawken peep sight. Got lucky finding it.

Last edited:
I am looking at the Williams tang mounted peep as well. I see it fits the T/C Hawken and Renegade, but was curious if anyone has mounted one on a Lyman Great Plains? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking at the Williams tang mounted peep as well. I see it fits the T/C Hawken and Renegade, but was curious if anyone has mounted one on a Lyman Great Plains? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I actually have the same question. I have a Williams FP-Hawken peep on my T/C Renegade.

Last edited:
Thanks
I prefer the Lyman 57 for the TC rifles. You should be prepared to grind the base of the sight for clearance. Yes, you could cut the stock but why people do that I don’t know.
I posted this on the sister site some time ago. “You should not need to cut the stock when mounting the Williams sight. Nor should you when mounting the Lyman. It’s preferable (speaking of the Lyman now) to remove material from the underside of the base where it will not be seen and if removed later on no evidence will remain on the rifle. The “Lyman cut” on the t/c rifle is a nasty blemish and I’d never buy one so treated.”
The photos show the Lyman mounted on a Hawken and also the relief ground from the base of the sight. You could also make a shim so that you don’t need to grind the relief. That’s going to give you additional elevation if that’s a consideration.

Attachments

• IMG_3987.jpeg
    IMG_3987.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3988.jpeg
    IMG_3988.jpeg
    882.3 KB · Views: 0
I prefer the Lyman 57 for the TC rifles. You should be prepared to grind the base of the sight for clearance. Yes, you could cut the stock but why people do that I don’t know.
I posted this on the sister site some time ago. “You should not need to cut the stock when mounting the Williams sight. Nor should you when mounting the Lyman. It’s preferable (speaking of the Lyman now) to remove material from the underside of the base where it will not be seen and if removed later on no evidence will remain on the rifle. The “Lyman cut” on the t/c rifle is a nasty blemish and I’d never buy one so treated.”
The photos show the Lyman mounted on a Hawken and also the relief ground from the base of the sight. You could also make a shim so that you don’t need to grind the relief. That’s going to give you additional elevation if that’s a consideration.
I see what you mean. Definitely would grind the sights before cutting stock.
Thanks for the pictures.

Latest posts

Back