• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Renegade trigger/hammer "frozen" - help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger to the back of the trigger guard and pulled the hammer all the way back at the same time, and now I can't "release" either!? Any advice?

Single trigger? Pull the lock out. Take the side screw out and pull the lock out,, nothing will break. Sometimes it's easier to have the side screw loose a few turns and give the screw a tap to get the lock started out of it's mortice.
TC used two different single triggers, one has a "fork" in the end of the cam that the lock sear arm fits between,, it probably just dropped out of the fork.
Clean and oil the lock while you have it out,, when you put it back in, just be sure to get the sear in the slot for it in the trigger cam.

It might also be a good idea to remove the trigger guard and trigger assembly first. That way you can pull the trigger out without having the lock rapidly unlock outside of the stock, maybe put a rag or some leather between the hammer and nipple before removing the trigger. Then pull the lock, inspect for anything broken, clean and reinstall without overtightening anything.

FYI, on the Renegade, you will need to first remove the barrel before the lock assembly will slide out. As others have said, once the lock is removed, take a look to see what is bound up. With the lock in hand, you can pull the hammer back a little bit and it should become clear what is keeping the hammer from releasing. This will also give you the chance to clean and add a little bit of oil to the parts inside the lock. If you can't figure out what is going on, maybe post up a picture. I had something similar happen on my Renegade one time and once the I removed the lock, I figured it out pretty quick.

Jeff H

1528d1096936060-t-c-hawken-hammer-misaligned-lock.jpg
check the sear plunger spring they sometimes get rusted in

Back