• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Pennsylvania Hunter. AWESOME!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
WHERE has this been all my life?!
Picked up one 'tuther day for $400. The previous owner did some useful work.Bedded the tang, put on a Lyman frizzen and recut the crown.
This one is the 32 inch 1-66 cut rifled. Although the trigger is rather heavy, a dab of moly grease on the sears, sear bar and trigger notch did wonders. Still needs a trigger job though...
I suspect some work was done on the cock. This is the only TC lock I've seen that puts the agate ( for now) within 1/16 of the frizzen face. NICE touch!
Her bore is a rolled mirror, and patches are nearly reuseable.
A .490 ball, .015 pre lubed Ox Yokes, an Ox Yoke. 54/.56 wad and 70 grains 3f Swiss makes a very nice hole in the target. My 10 rounds today were as follows: first 3, 1 1/4, next 3 and inch on the dot and the last 4, 1 3/8. All 10 in an inch and three- quarters.
Ran into Chuck Dixon the other day, and he liked her. Said "These were the best rifles TC ever made."
I'll take his word. Heavy trigger and all, I've never shot a flintlock better than I shoot
20211013_130853.jpg
20211013_130949.jpg
20211013_130926.jpg
20211013_131016.jpg

TC trigger bars often look like a washboard, I have polished three and had striking results, much smoother and even lightened them up a bit after the polishing, I polished the sear as well. One of the triggers ended up with a 3.5# front trigger, the other two around 5#.

If you look at this picture you can see how rough a TC trigger can be.

trigger rough.JPG

This TC trigger was even rougher than the one pictured above, you can see that the part I didn't polish looks like a washboard.

tc rough trigger.JPG

I used a small needle file and draw filed the trigger bar first to get rid of the washboard, I used a light touch and didn't get heavy handed. Next, I used a small block of wood with 220 sand paper on it to start the smoothing process, I progressed to 400 grit then emery cloth and finally a Dremel buffing wheel with polishing compound on it.

For the lock sear I used 400 grit paper, emery cloth and the buffing wheel.

That TC model is a new one on me. Looks like a nice rifle anybody would be proud to carry. The Lyman frizzen is a puzzlement for me. I don't recall (but I'm getting old. 😉 ) Lyman making a flint lock.

As Eric mentioned, on T/C and Investarms/Lyman locks, disassembly and polishing all mating/rubbling surfaces and using a bit a of Loctite when reassembling works wonders. Ditto for the triggers (except you don't take them apart). The whole process should take no more than 75 mins. if you have the polishing materials, files on hand. Btw, I used a Cratex wheel in a Dremel hand piece to do some of the final polishing.

Latest posts

Back