• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken 50 front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kopelli

32 Cal
Reaction score
Have 50 cal TC Hawken with front sight that measures .3680 inches top of barrel to top of sight and dovetail anchor. I want to practice with Lyman 17a type front sight. Not sure which one to buy, or where. Any suggestions.

Attachments

• 20220925_094027.jpg
    20220925_094027.jpg
    755 KB · Views: 11
Have 50 cal TC Hawken with front sight that measures .3680 inches top of barrel to top of sight and dovetail anchor. I want to practice with Lyman 17a type front sight. Not sure which one to buy, or where. Any suggestions.
You want a Lyman with the 3/8” dovetail, not the metric one. They measure their height from the bottom of the dovetail to the center of the sight. I use the two lower or shorter ones (AHB that measures .404” and the AML that measures .494”) on a few barrels with the Lyman 57 peep sight. Check the overall height of your sight and go from there. I believe the TC sight dovetail base is 3/32” thick, but you need to confirm that.

I just shot someone's H&R Buffalo rifle Saturday with that sight. As long as a while target paper background with a black circle bullseye was aimed at it was great. As soon as we tried shooting at an object off the paper we couldn't acquire a target picture. I'm guessing there is a fine cross hair type of insert offered but haven't looked into it yet.

I think I may have an Lyman Sight kicking around if your interested.
I may be but I need to determine first what I need to fit my rifle. I am looking for the sight that I believe is modeled 17a by lyman. It should take inserts and be dovetail.

Thank you guys. I went to Track of the Wolf and found the sight and dimensions that appear to fit the TC Hawken. The sight has been ordered and I will try it out.

Happy Hunting

I just shot someone's H&R Buffalo rifle Saturday with that sight. As long as a while target paper background with a black circle bullseye was aimed at it was great. As soon as we tried shooting at an object off the paper we couldn't acquire a target picture. I'm guessing there is a fine cross hair type of insert offered but haven't looked into it yet.
Lee Shaver offers an insert card with a variety of options for the Lyman globe sights including crosshair, post, bead and so on. I would use the AHB in conjunction with your 57.

Latest posts

Back