• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tastiest game bird?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use a small can such as a tomato paste can or soup can, I done one this early summer and it turned out really good. The bird used was from a late Feb. hunt on a preserve hunt we do each year. R.C.

I have eaten sand hill crane before. It was good. It was cold in a fruit salad of all things.

I had a buddy that was working on his PhD and he used to host a supper bowl party. All these folks were wildlife biologist grad students. Everyone tried to out do the other one with exotic meat for the party.

Fleener

Young turkeys killed in the fall are better than any from a store. Blue grouse are mighty fine cooked up in elk camp with mashed potatoes gravy and biscuits.

sidelock said:
Young turkeys killed in the fall are better than any from a store. Blue grouse are mighty fine cooked up in elk camp with mashed potatoes gravy and biscuits.

There is not much edible that wouldn't be good cooked up in elk camp with mashed potatoes gravy and biscuits. :thumbsup:

I think one can lump together all the white breasted non-migratory upland game birds, and claim they are the best eating. My most memorable meal was a single gambel quail I ate the first time I ever went backpacking alone at the age of 15. I plucked it and cooked it on a stick over the fire. I remember thinking at the time this was the best thing I'd ever eaten, even though I have eaten plenty of quail. There is something to be said for context.

My breakfast, otherwise, was a packet of instant oatmeal and a cup of tea.

Shot lots of waterfowl in my youth and miss the Mallards that my grandmother prepared. Dirt simple, but very tasty. She would cut them into pieces and boil them for a bit. Following that they were rolled in seasoned flower and fried in butter. Served with wild rice they were a real treat. She did snow goose the same way.

Well Alex, that sounds like my kind of recipe. Not trying to disguise the flavor of the meat with sauces and concoctions.

I like haggis. I can’t say I’m a big fan of scotch, but haggis, oatmeal stout and fried oat cakes is a fine meal. Add in pipes and someone reading Burns aloud and it’s a fine evening.

I do not find woodcock worth eating itself, let alone their intestines.

Fleener

Back