• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tastiest game bird?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really enjoy hunting woodcock because when an over night flight comes in, the wing shooting is "fast and furious". Most of the time though, they're shot incidentally when grouse hunting.

My bird dogs readily pointed them and they would hold their point for quite awhile because the woodcock are "tight sitters" But the downed birds they wouldn't "mouth' and 2 of my dogs would try to bury them in the leaves w/ their noses.

I find woodcock delicious w/ a slight liver taste and the best way to cook them is in a hot frying pan w/ plenty of salt, pepper and garlic. They taste better if eaten rare....and no I haven't eaten "trail" and don't intend to.....Fred

Our national dessert is apple pie, theirs is "spotted dick"

I've made spotted dick, and plum duff, figgie pudding, and rolly polly and although different from apple pie, I'd not turn away from a properly made, boiled pudding with hard sauce. :grin:

The English have some interesting names for dishes such as:
Toad in the Hole,
bubble and squeak,
Bangers & mash,
lobscouse,
Skillygalee,
soused hog's face,
trotters,
Blood pudding,
Bedfordshire clangers,
Cornish pasties,
rumbled thumps,
mushy peas
stargazy pie

ALL of which can be quite tasty. :wink:

And since we're talking of game birds let us not forget...

Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye,
Four and twenty blackbirds
Baked in a pie.

LD

I bought a wilderness survival book back in the ”˜70s. It was not a ml book and was full of plastic water stills for the desert instruction, gathering grass hoppers and so on.
It said “all birds are edible”. Over the years I’ve eaten wood peckers( taste like dove) sparrow, (quail) crow, magpies and blue jays (duck).
I’ve skinned more then one ”˜ possum but never got it to the pot. I think I would try most any bird over ”˜possum.

To have a good meal, possum needs to be kept for a while & fed table scraps. (I like coon better, though). - Then put the dressed possum (or coon) up on a rack, so the rendered grease will drain away & ENJOY with sweet taters & good cornbread.

yours, satx

I have mixed starling breasts in with a mess of dove breasts for supper, and the only difference I could tell was the size of the breasts.

We always called starlings "blackbirds", although that is probably not the same bird in the nursery rhyme.

Native Arizonan said:
We always called starlings "blackbirds", although that is probably not the same bird in the nursery rhyme.
Starlings are an introduced/invasive species - black/brown with iridescent speckling.

I'm not at all sure what the birds were in the nursery rhyme but in south LA they make "rice birds" (which are sooty black) into 2-crust pies & it does take about 2 dozen.

yours, satx

Black Hand said:
Native Arizonan said:
Starlings are an introduced/invasive species - black/brown with iridescent speckling.

Yep. Because they are introduced/invasive species not desired as a game bird you can shoot them 365 days out of the year in AZ, at least. They can sometimes be found in very large numbers in areas where animals are being fed or various grains are being farmed. You can get into some serious trouble shooting some black birds, though, so know what you are doing. They generally feed in the same areas as mourning doves around here, thus a few of them ended up in the pan as an experiment. They we're eating the same food and tasted very similar, but the breasts are pretty small, just a tidbit of meat on either side.

FLi_622.jpg

satx78247 said:
I'm glad that somebody actually thinks it so. [about Haggis]

yours, satx

Though we have a lot of Scottish Blood in the family, the women folk had long since forgotten how to make Scottish dishes.

So I got my first taste of Haggis, Scottish Meat Pies and other things at Highland Games. I liked Haggis right off the bat, but admit I did not eat the intestine covering with it. I have to take extra money to the Highland Games just so I can stuff myself with traditional Scottish Dishes.

I brought a couple of young Coon home a couple of times after Grandma asked me to bring her one when I was Coon hunting as a lad. She baked it, but it was still too greasy for me. The way you mentioned to cook it sounds good, though.

Both my Grandma's grew up as "poor river folk" on the Mississippi, so it was amazing they could cook and enjoyed eating any game we brought home.

Gus

Stuffing food in to a stomach and boiling is a fairly old way of cooking. I don’t know if haggis is an original Scottish dish or if they learned it from the Normans who seem to have brought boiled puddings to England.
Early on all puddings went in a stomach or in a bag made of the paunch. Cloth was being used for pudding bags by the fourteenth century.
Now at the risk of having a caber shoved under my kilt and placed in a permanently dark area I just don’t see why a haggis can’t be boiled in a pudding bag.

The older PA Dutch still make something called Dutch Goose. A baked Pig stomach that had been filled with stuffing, often a mixture of loose browned sausage and mashed potatoes. It was arranged on the serving platter to look like a goose breast.

My Dutch grandmother always called that “mock duck”. Soooo good some local butcher shops still sell it.

For no particular reason, when I was a senior in college, I just stopped eating on Fridays. Stayed that way for years. But my life and eating habits were drastically altered once my daughter started eating grown up food. It was strange, but I simply did not get hungry on Fridays. For several years I had access to a place at the Beach, so Thursday evenings and Fridays were spent getting work and other things completed and then driving to the beach. Simply no time to get hungry.

Back