• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

UK Game Season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good golley ms. Molly Mr. Foley. Lots of acres on that list. How many miles would you drive between the furthest from each other? Or should i say kilometers?

Because neither black powder nor archery produce what the various 🇬🇧 government bureaucrats believe is sufficient energy for a quick, decisive, one shot kill. I believe their minimum is 2,000 foot pounds of muzzle energy. It might be more than that. Apparently some people in Wales are talking about changing this to accommodate different weapons, but it’s an uphill fight there.
Well, I'm here to tell those beaurocrats, they are full of horseshit. I can tell them from experience that a muzzle loader at least is most definitely sufficient to produce a one shot humane kill. This is obviously a situation where the powers that be dont know they're asses from a hole in the ground.

Last edited:
Well, I'm here to tell those beaurocrats, they are full of horseshit. I can tell them from experience that a muzzle loader at least is most definitely sufficient to produce a one shot humane kill. This is obviously a situation where the powers that be font know they're asses from a hole in the ground.
By all means, tell them. I’m pretty sure everyone or nearly everyone on this website agrees with you. Let us know the responses you get back.

Every mouthful of venison they stick down their necks has been legally shot by a shooter. There are no 'venison farms' here in UK.

Good on the UK.

Deer "hunting ranches" are wildly popular in the US A. Well to do 'hunters" pay $10,000 or more to kill fenced in bucks with grotesque antlers.

Those hunting ranches are responsible for the spread of chronic wasting disease.

Good golley ms. Molly Mr. Foley. Lots of acres on that list. How many miles would you drive between the furthest from each other? Or should i say kilometers?

You can say what you like in your post, but here in UK only furriners use kilometres. We are still measuring all road distances in miles, fraction of a mile and yards, unless you live in Wales, when it is Milltir and Llath.

Both our cars have speedos in miles, just like every other road vehicle in the UK that is registered here.

The pint of milk on our doorstep every other day is in a pint bottle, too.

Weather reports give windspeed in MPH, and all airplanes fly in feet of altitude, and not metres.

You can imagine Al Jolson singing 'I'd walk a million, six-hundred-and-twenty thousand kilometres for one of your smiles......' Full metrication here ain't never going to happen.

Mind you, distance measuring apart, those poor English folks, just to the East of Wales, do get things wrong in hilarious fashion when it comes to bi-lingual warning notices at road works -

1630606256407.png

The Welsh caption reads reads 'Bladder infections dismount'. :)

The furthest apart are probably the literal length of the island of Great Britain, bearing in mind that it literally impossible to go from end to end in anything like a straight line. This would probably make it a journey of around nine hundred miles or so. Could be more, I've never looked to find out, TBH. not having any interest in any kind of estate shooting. Nor the ££££££££ needed for the bigger places. Lat alone the clothes...

A friend of mine turned up to a local shoot a while back wearing a red scarf - he was told to go away, and come back dressed so that nobody would mistake him for a bookie's tout.

Last edited:
I once drove nonstop from Barmouth to Lowestoft in a day. Pretty much a straight line. We measured that distance in sheep dodged, sidewalks driven on, tractors stuck behind, and thatched roofs seen, not meters or miles.
There is a stretch here in georgia, it is road kill armadillos per mile.

There is a stretch here in georgia, it is road kill armadillos per mile.
Armadillos…I am so so tempted to say something and take this thread even farther off the faint dirt track it is on now. But I’m afraid it will become another “is the .45 adequate for deer” digression, with some people debating how many armadillos can balance on the tip of an early spade bayonet for the Boston Side Show variant of the original Brown Bess land pattern Muzzleloading rifle. So…how’s rural Georgia treating you? Ready for some British-style driven shooting at mile-high pheasants cackling and fertilizing down upon you?

Although this thread was started has a game shooting season meaning small game there has been a lot of talk on deer .In the past I did 25 years research into the gun trade and sporting estates some of which was mentioned in Foleys replies. In some of the old records of sporting estates a name concerning deer shot was the name {HEAVER] any deer shooting people know what that name means it took me quite a while to find the answer
Feltwad

I was surprised to see Canada Geese in NZ. Open season on the darn things. Seems they are taking over the World.

So, can you use a ML in Scotland to hunt deer sized animals?

We just canceled our trip for the third time to Scotland and Ireland due to Covid. Was to go in a few weeks.

Fleener
It’s the soul afraid of dying that never learns to live

Always wondered if a 2D cut out of a red hind would work on the hill, like the antelope hunters use in the Western States.
Some years ago an old friend who use to have a Clay ground near you showed me a photo he had taken that morning of a Roe doe nose to nose with a steel cutout of a Buck in his Highland back garden near Rob Roy's grave in Perthshire.. It does work. Now you have Roe in your neck it may be worth a try..Get the Camera out.. OLD DOG..

I for one totally enjoyed this thread. It is great to learn real information about the UK and not what we hear over here. But here is a question, I know ML shotguns are still used in the UK but do you have to use steel shot for ducks and geese?

I for one totally enjoyed this thread. It is great to learn real information about the UK and not what we hear over here. But here is a question, I know ML shotguns are still used in the UK but do you have to use steel shot for ducks and geese?
Yes steel or any other but not lead that is why I pensioned of most of my muzzle loading big bore fowlers . You can still use lead for other game but that will finish in a year or two .
Feltwad

You fellows would pass out at my attire in the bird fields, whats your opinion on carhart bib overalls, and a very old worn NY yankee baseball cap.

Back