• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taking the Flintlock Pistol plunge next year

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So even with all the ups & downs in the shooting world, I've decided to move ahead with something I've wanted to get into.....large bore flintlock pistols!
If all goes well, I'll be ordering one (or a pair) of French 1773 pistol(s) from MVTC in 2022!

I know...I know!

Some people really dislike Indian made guns, but I don't wanna pay $900 for a Pedersoli, and find out I can't deal with it. That's why I'm getting the 1st pistol from MVTC, and if I like it...a second pistol...THEN maybe after that, a Pedersoli from DGW.

Not to be a wet blanket, but...every time I have waited for something gun related, by the time I have the budgeted money I can't get it any more. If you see a FL pistol you want and it's available, jump now. Next year there's a good chance it won't be.

and find out I can't deal with it.
Nothing more difficult to deal with than a poorly put together flintlock made with substandard components, particularly for someone just starting out in flintlocks. I have an EIG Japanese made Tower that was given to me by the previous owner who never got it to work, after it proved to him that flintlocks were unreliable, if not useless, based on his single experience with one. Soft frizzen, heavy springs, frizzen and cock out of alignment, etc. I haven’t not checked (no intention of shooting the thing), but also possibly it has a welded breech plug. An example of an inexpensive gun NOT to start someone out with……..

Save your money and buy a better gun.

Last edited:
So even with all the ups & downs in the shooting world, I've decided to move ahead with something I've wanted to get into.....large bore flintlock pistols!
If all goes well, I'll be ordering one (or a pair) of French 1773 pistol(s) from MVTC in 2022!

I know...I know!

Some people really dislike Indian made guns, but I don't wanna pay $900 for a Pedersoli, and find out I can't deal with it. That's why I'm getting the 1st pistol from MVTC, and if I like it...a second pistol...THEN maybe after that, a Pedersoli from DGW.
Trouble usual is you will wind up paying more starting with a cheap model and working up to get what your really want than you will over buying quality the first time. Plus if you by quality you have an investment that can be resold to re-coop your investment it it proves to not be what you want.
One of the things you learn with years and experience. Buy quality once, and Cry once !

Well the Indian Flintlock Pistol will serve 2 purposes......

1, an introduction to big bore flintlock pistols
2, a working prop for my Highwayman Persona

Don't really want to do that with a $900 pistol......

Well, I’m not too impressed with Pedersoli. Some of their locks are great. Some are mediocre and some are just plain stinkers.
Brown Bess Lock...that joker is SCUBA rated! Sparks like a house a fire....
1795 Springfield.....It’s a good lock too.
Year IX French 1777....A friend had one, nothing but trouble.
Lott trade gun lock... mediocre to stinker
Kentucky locks.....pretty good to OK
M1803 pistol .....seems to be a really good lock but it can be a flint basher. I believe that is inherent with the 1803 design..
Queen Anne...seems to get good reviews
French Pistols...no knowledge of these by Pedersoli...The closest is that 1777 musket so I would be cautious...

Now I do have limited personal experience with a Indian made pistol. It was I believe a sea service or land service English pistol. It was good enough that it was a station for a woods walk. The shooters would have to fire the pistol at this station. All I can say is it shot really well and was repeatedly shot by multiple participants.
I am pretty certain it was from Veteran Arms. They guarantee the frizzen for hardness.

Murphy’s Muskets goes over Indian made guns. I believe he said 2 out of 3 are good with 1 out of 3 being great.

Back