• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"tackle box"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor Private said:
Do you take the box first, then come back and get your 2 or 3 guns?
yes, it seems to take 2 or 3 trips to get all my manure hauled out so I can shoot. I am going to seriously pursue 'shoot from the purse only' in the real near future. Kinda need the box and all the gear for doing experiments tho.

this is one of the reasons I love that I can shoot in my back yard
It takes me a few minutes going back and forth geting it all outside, but it is all there ready for me when I do shoot. My experimentations can quickly be tested as soon as I think of them.
:)

this is a great idea.

I've been using an old swiss gas mask bag for years. My BP needs are growing...and like everybody...On a budget.

simple solution right in my face
thanks for this

I must be missing something somewhere? Why do some of you need to bring so much "stuff" when you go shooting :idunno:

My guns just need powder, patches, balls, and caps. Even when I figure in "emergency" and cleaning tools, everything easily fits in the shooting bag I have for each individual gun. The only thing extra I bring to a range other than when I`m hunting or woods plinking is a seperate range rod for loading. If the purpose of the trip is to sight in a gun I`ll also bring a brass punch, hammer, and a file for sight adjustment. Those "extra`s" will fit in a hip pocket.

Poor Private said:
Those are great range boxes.
I have a few questions?
1- if your going to the range, wheres your guns?
2- if your going to the range how many guns are you carrying?
3- how are you carrying your guns to the range? Do you take the box first, then come back and get your 2 or 3 guns? Or are you just taking 1 gun(if so way to much stuff and weight)? Or vice versa?
All my "stuff" is stored in a couple of cabinets. What I take out to the range is called aaPlano Pro it is a rolling tool box I picked up at Menards for about 40 bucks. It all locks up. A flip top compartment that holds things like shooting glasses, muffs and ear plugs. Below that is a foding down front that has 3 drawers that hold what I am taking balls, powder, wads, caps and even cartridges and will hold up to 3 different pistols. The bottom section is a tip out box that holds targets, both a metal spinner and paper with enough room to carry a pistol in it's box. This thing hass two nice big wheels rolls around like a 2 wheeler. I can then toss what ever long guns over my shoulders to go to the range.
Generally there are a few people who are going to the range and I have to carry more than 1 BP pistol to use. One reason is that if I only take 1 I don't get a chance to shoot. I am too busy loading it up for others to try out(best way to get them to come on over).

My secret is rugrats! I bring my kids along and make them carry the stuff. The guns are kept in their own rugs and the muffs and hearing protection have their own boxes which are stored above the safe and they truck them out to the car and from the car to the range.

The pocket police fits in the ammo can so if only shooting it, the can, the muffs, a roll of targets and a canteen are all I carry to the stand in one trip.

+1 If Iam going to a big shoot then all the supplies are carried in a box ,( cleaning gear extra powder, flints, caps, lube for5 different guns ) this is left in camp as it looks like a small chest it appears pc.All matches are shot off the body , off hand, we make only one exception for a guy who is well into his 80s and is too crippled up to carry a bag .

Nice range box. I have something similar that Plano makes in about the same size. I've taken just my possibles bag for quick trips to the range, but for an afternoon of experimentation or shooting guns of different calibers, I find it's easier to carry targets, staple gun, staples, shooting glasses, bulk cleaning patches for the day, assorted patching and lubes, balls, etc. in the box rather than stuffing the bag and my pockets. I also figure that if I have everything I own in one box, then it's impossible to forget anything!

I must be missing something somewhere? Why do some of you need to bring so much "stuff" when you go shooting

Hah, you are missing something! :haha:

My red box that I showed only contains some of the essentials. IOW, if I only took that box, I'd be ok. But.... There are two more boxes of similar size that are loaded with all kinds of things that "might" be needed. Then there is the spotting scope, four or five range rods, chronograph, tripod for chrono, 30 pounds of targets...etc.

Usually all this stuff is things that are needed by other shooters at the range or at a match such as ball pullers, caps, patch material, whatever you can imagine that someone left home without. This applys especially to new shooters who show up and are completely confused. Next in line are the guys who only brought their shooting bag and horn but forgot to inventory their shooting supplies before leaving home. :blah:

Fwiw, I am one of the few guys I see at the range and at matches who actually stands on the line with a bag and horn and shoots everything from the bag without a range rod. I add in a rifle stand for matches cause it's not advisable or safe to just lay it on the ground while walking down range!

Stumpkiller said:
Mine look like these:

DSCN0156.jpg

HPIM0870.jpg

No kidding - you guys carry too much baggage. If you don't take it on a hunt you shouldn't drag it to the range. ;-)
yep i agree about not taking it all hunting, but when taking 7 different guns and two teenage kids to the sportsmans club with me i take the range box, but when hunting i take this:

DSC01372_zps88b1f1df.jpg
:v

swathdiver said:
Poor Private said:
Those are great range boxes.
I have a few questions?
1- if your going to the range, wheres your guns?
2- if your going to the range how many guns are you carrying?
3- how are you carrying your guns to the range? Do you take the box first, then come back and get your 2 or 3 guns? Or are you just taking 1 gun(if so way to much stuff and weight)? Or vice versa?
All my "stuff" is stored in a couple of cabinets. What I take out to the range is called aaPlano Pro it is a rolling tool box I picked up at Menards for about 40 bucks. It all locks up. A flip top compartment that holds things like shooting glasses, muffs and ear plugs. Below that is a foding down front that has 3 drawers that hold what I am taking balls, powder, wads, caps and even cartridges and will hold up to 3 different pistols. The bottom section is a tip out box that holds targets, both a metal spinner and paper with enough room to carry a pistol in it's box. This thing hass two nice big wheels rolls around like a 2 wheeler. I can then toss what ever long guns over my shoulders to go to the range.
Generally there are a few people who are going to the range and I have to carry more than 1 BP pistol to use. One reason is that if I only take 1 I don't get a chance to shoot. I am too busy loading it up for others to try out(best way to get them to come on over).

My secret is rugrats! I bring my kids along and make them carry the stuff. The guns are kept in their own rugs and the muffs and hearing protection have their own boxes which are stored above the safe and they truck them out to the car and from the car to the range.

The pocket police fits in the ammo can so if only shooting it, the can, the muffs, a roll of targets and a canteen are all I carry to the stand in one trip.
+1 about taking the rugrats. they like too shoot, so i make'em work for it :grin:

I have a large rangebox that is just like marmotslayers but is grey instead of that lovely pink. :grin: I only take it when I'm shooting more than one firearm. My normal range box is an old wood tackle box that I bought at a church rummage sale for 50 cents and repainted.
2729044380104169197nuOhsz_fs.jpg

My range box is an old antique Budweiser beer bottle case from 1930-50's ? I think it was designed to hold twelve quarts size bottles. I just throw a couple bags, a couple horns, hearing protection, binoculars, sometimes a candy bar and a Coke in there and off we go.

But I have a ton of stuff in "the big box" back home.

I know you guys shoot more than I do, and probably much better, but I am lazy, if it won't go in the bag, it don't go. :grin:

I have that same box that you bought at Minards. Carries everything I need for the range. For hunting I go lite and just carry the necessities. :thumbsup:

I have a relatively large rangebox in which I carry eveerythign that I could possibly need at the range including tools, extra powder, patches and balls, etc. The secret is that the box stays in the back of my car and I carry only the bare essentials in my possibles bag, my rifle and my powder horn. If I need any to the miscellanious gear in my rangebox (a rare occurrance), I just go back to my car and get or use whatever I need. If you are carrying a revolver, just carry it in a holster and carry the revolver needs in your possibles bag. When you set out from your car, just ask yourself how they did it "back in the day". You sure didn't see anyone towing a box on wheels down the street. Simplify.

As for transporting my rifles or revolvers to and from the range, I just keep them in a rug in the trunk of my car and I carry as many as I have any desire to shoot (and clean) on any given day.

Take the kids, that is the right thing to do, but leave the rolling sporting goods store in the car. If you need anything, use the kids as runners to bring it from the car. That way, they will learn the name and use of each item in your rangebox. You will have to spend some special time with them at home teaching them the name and use of each item and its location in your range box so they will be able to retrieve whatever item you may need. It also helps insure that you keep a neatly arranged box so they can find things when they are needed. As my good friend, the master of the malaprop, likes to say "This ain't rocket surgery." :thumbsup:

I went and got me a nice Periwinkle and Pink 2 tray tackle box. It holds most of what I need. Turns out I needed a larger box for all my stuff, but I decided only things for actual shooting and range repairs go in the tackle box. Repair, cleaning and servicing supplies are all in a cardboard box still.

Cynthialee said:
I went and got me a nice Periwinkle and Pink 2 tray tackle box. It holds most of what I need. Turns out I needed a larger box for all my stuff, but I decided only things for actual shooting and range repairs go in the tackle box. Repair, cleaning and servicing supplies are all in a cardboard box still.

Periwinkle and pink?
Sounds pretty girly to me. :rotf:

Latest posts

Back