• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"tackle box"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russecv58

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i noticed there was a few members talking about needing to find a good box for all their stuff. figured i would show everyone what i use to tote all my do-dads to the range. i didnt want to hijack the thread, so i figured i'd start another and post some pics here. got this at Sears, think it was $25 if memory serves me correctly.
DSC01410_zpsb4ab482a.jpg

DSC01414_zps7d79c98f.jpg

DSC01412_zps702a7bad.jpg

DSC01411_zps77e9b3c2.jpg

I'm afraid that I am not that well organized. I am getting a little better though. It is amazeing to me how much one needs to carry if they want to be ready for anything. I got two great ball bags off of our classifieds and apossiable bag but I need a pretty good sized way to carry the "what if" stuff! Geo. T.

yeah, that was my problem too. i had a bunch of stuff that id tote with me all in an old wooden Hercules powder crate, which would also double as my shooting rest. so i saw this and thought what the heck. it worked out pretty good :grin:

I started with one very nearly like that.
It's retired now and collecting dust.
TOO BIG, I got so I was carrying so much junk ya couldn't find what yer after without emptying fully half the box out!
Got Darn Heavy Too!

I moved to two smaller wooden ones, one carries pistol/revolver stuff, the other rifle stuff.

Of course the wood box costs a bit more and took me some time to find/afford, but it's nice to carry a small box to the range.
I don't ever give anyone greif for havin a plastic box if they keep it descreetly stashed at a Rendezvous,

This is what I have been using for over 10 years. The individual compartments work well, helps keeps things separated, rather than have to dig thru & find things. Top part is about 4-5" deep so can put allot there. Usually more here than I ever need, but have always had all I needed with me. The drawers are twice as deep as shown.

ShootingBox.jpg

ShootingBox1.jpg

Keith Lisle

Beautifully organized and well thought out. However, it looks to be very heavy with all those balls and doo-dads. I used to try to carry everything to the bench with me and built a large rangebox that carried everything including tools. Then, after carrying that heavy load from the car to the bench enough times and nearly getting a hernia, I began to grow in wisdom. :hmm: It occured to me that I was not using most of what I was carrying to the bench. :doh: So, I decided to lighten my load by taking only what I would be needing to the bench and leaving the heavy rangebox in the car. So, I took one of my ammo cans and put only those things that I actually needed at the bench for the rifle that I was carrying and left everything else in the rangebox. All those things were there if I actually needed them but I didn't carry all of it to the bench. That ammo can is much lighter than that big rangebox. It has only a few more things than I might carry in my possibles bag. Seldom do I need to go back to my rangebox for anything until the match is over and I am ready to do my range cleaning. Before going to the range, I do an inventory to be sure that I have the right powder, balls, patches and lube that I need for the rifle that I am carrying. I also check for the right cleaning jag and short starter and make sure that my swabbing patches are moistened with my cleaner. With that, I am ready and know that everything else is in the car if I should need it. It's a system that has worked excellently for me for a good while. :thumbsup:

Birddog6 said:
This is what I have been using for over 10 years. The individual compartments work well, helps keeps things separated, rather than have to dig thru & find things. Top part is about 4-5" deep so can put allot there. Usually more here than I ever need, but have always had all I needed with me. The drawers are twice as deep as shown.

ShootingBox.jpg

ShootingBox1.jpg

Keith Lisle

This is off topic, but I see Warren round balls in that tool box. Are they still available? Can't find them around here anymore.

Here is my tackle box. Most of my shooting is out of the pouch so the box just carries things needed to fix or clean guns along with spare patching, flints and some powder. The box was made by a buddy of mine out of Chestnut. It is starting to show some patina from use.

DSC01852_zps8079d13a.jpg

DSC01854_zps523c4ddf.jpg

This is the box that carries my pistol stuff. I picked this box up at a garage sale for $1. I had to build a new tray and paint it to cover up the rust but it works fine for range work.

DSC01860_zps083bbe9c.jpg

I try to stay away from plastic because it doesn't look good at a historic reenactment or a rendezvous.

Many Klatch

I only shoot in a gun club. I wheel around a Stanley FatMax Lock 'n Stock. I cannot think of one single gimmick, tool, reserve part, extra charges, balls, safe t unloader + cartridges, bunch of flints or whatever you can imagine that I have forgotten at home... All my black powder stuff is in that "little trailer" be it at home or be it on any range I go to.... I never have to stop shooting by lack of amo or by lack of repair possibilities, and some time I am able to help out other shooters... As a surplus: the thing has sturdy wheels and is easily transported... :idunno:

Why is everybodys' Range Box so much neater than mine???

E

There is something wrong with these guys!

Here is what a "real" shooting box looks like!

IMG_3933_zps7562dd75.jpg

IMG_3934_zps537ff2d2.jpg

IMG_3935_zps1975eeb8.jpg

These look a little better than the real mc coy. The grunge and spilled powder does not photograph well. But, don't worry about that spilled powder, it is saturated with spilled oil, grease and lube! :haha:

That's what I'm aiming for Stumpkiller!

We can shoot all day with 2 or 3 calibers (revolvers) with everything inside a .50 cal ammo can. A WW2 ammo crate stores everything else.

By the end of next year I hope my ammo can will be replaced by something like your rig for rifles, revolvers and shotguns.

Those are great range boxes.
I have a few questions?
1- if your going to the range, wheres your guns?
2- if your going to the range how many guns are you carrying?
3- how are you carrying your guns to the range? Do you take the box first, then come back and get your 2 or 3 guns? Or are you just taking 1 gun(if so way to much stuff and weight)? Or vice versa?
All my "stuff" is stored in a couple of cabinets. What I take out to the range is called aaPlano Pro it is a rolling tool box I picked up at Menards for about 40 bucks. It all locks up. A flip top compartment that holds things like shooting glasses, muffs and ear plugs. Below that is a foding down front that has 3 drawers that hold what I am taking balls, powder, wads, caps and even cartridges and will hold up to 3 different pistols. The bottom section is a tip out box that holds targets, both a metal spinner and paper with enough room to carry a pistol in it's box. This thing hass two nice big wheels rolls around like a 2 wheeler. I can then toss what ever long guns over my shoulders to go to the range.
Generally there are a few people who are going to the range and I have to carry more than 1 BP pistol to use. One reason is that if I only take 1 I don't get a chance to shoot. I am too busy loading it up for others to try out(best way to get them to come on over).

Back