• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C New Englander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jferguson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought a mint unfired T/C New Englander. What does that mean, and what period was that? I assume it is not a Hawken style, nor a Kentucky rifle style, etc. So "what is it?" Will it pass for 1640-1840 at Rendezvous? Anyone know why they named it the NEer? Thanks for your ideas! OVJ

Hate to say it, but T/C built a modern smoothbore with traditional side lock. Its period is 1990. Some rendezvous will look aside and let you shoot. That decision is up to the people running the event.

Its called a New Englander since most guns used in New England were smoothbores.

The TC New Englander came out about 25-30 years ago. Barrels were available in .50 and .54 caliber and 12 gauge shotgun.

The New Englander is a good gun. The barrels have 1/48" rifling twist. My .50 and .54 barrels are very accurate with patched round ball.

The New Englander will probably not get it at rondy, especially one with a Tupperware stock.

Design reminds me of a 1920s or 1930s single shotgun, maybe be early Sears or H&R.

Era, maybe early Depression to late Depression, no later than 1942 or so.

The Thompson Center New Englander is a half-stocked, hooked breech, muzzleloading, caplock rifle with an option of mounting a 12 gauge shotgun barrel. It loosely corrisponds in appearance with an 1800's English sporting rifle. Rifle calibers, as mentioned, came in .50 and .54, both with the 1:48 twist rate. It was available in rifle form in both right an left hand. A single "key" secured the barrel to the stock, while the lock is secured to the stock with a single screw. It has a modern, adjustable rear sight, and a single, plain trigger.

It may have been called the New Englander because the barrel is round for its entire length, or because it could mount a shotgun barrel... or perhaps it was just the whim of the CEO of Thompson Center.

Any event that would permit a Thompson Center Hawken should allow the New Englander. They are good rifles, shoot round ball well, and are very capable of taking deer.

LD

Grenadier1758 said:
Hate to say it, but T/C built a modern smoothbore with traditional side lock. Its period is 1990. Some rendezvous will look aside and let you shoot. That decision is up to the people running the event.

Its called a New Englander since most guns used in New England were smoothbores.

I'm sorry---I should have specified mine is a .54 cal rifled barrel.

So, the name "NEer" is a modern just made-up, marketing name. So, that name was not used in the old days, unlike the Kentucky, or Hawken names used to describe a type of weapon was, right?

Hi,
Does your New Englander have a wood stock?
If so great! (my opinion!)
If you shop around you may be lucky enough to find a 12 gauge for it.
The New Englander is a GREAT hunting gun, plain and simple. None better.
However you should have the tang glass bedded, as they have a knack of cracking in the tang & lock bolt area. And you cannot get a replacement stock from TC.
However with a good glass bedding you will get 2 or 3 lifetimes out of it.
I have had two of them, and foolishly parted with them. Hang on to yours!
You have probably the best hunting BP gun made.
It will fit well into most rondevous gatherings.
All the best!
Fred

All names are made up names.
Officianados decide what names are good names.
TC NE's are made to be good solid hunting rifles. I think I'd a'made them different but I wasn't there at the time trying to run a business.

I have one of the first T/C New Englanders that I built from a kit (#K405). Great little hunting carbine. Mine is .50 cal rifled and also a 12 gauge shotgun that I had jug choked to 55%.

Not a very historic design. Kind of a plain rendition of a late English Sporter. But it sure is a handy hunting firelock. For many years I used mine during regular deer season and it has done right by me.

HPIM1052.jpg

HPIM1053.jpg

Old Virginia Joe said:
I just bought a mint unfired T/C New Englander. What does that mean, and what period was that? I assume it is not a Hawken style, nor a Kentucky rifle style, etc. So "what is it?" Will it pass for 1640-1840 at Rendezvous? why they nAnyone know amed it the NEer?
Why would they call it a Californian?

I have one in 50 CAL percussion.
It is a good all around hunting rifle. Doesn't copy any older historic guns that I know of.
Mine is very accurate with 80 gr. of 3F BP. with a 490 RB. A lot lighter to carry deer hunting when you get to my age.

I have a 54 capper. More of a loaner than regular use by me, but it has accounted for every deer it was pointed at. 80 grains of 3f under a .530 ball and ticking with a grease lube. Really a quick handling gun and easy to lug.

Hmmmm. I think I'm talking myself into using it more! :thumbsup:

Because of it's relative light weight and short barrel I call my .54 NE'r the mountain rifle. Some day I will swap the steel under rib with walnut and it will be even more handier.

I learned to check tightness on the hammer screw. Still looking for an original hammer.

In your neck of the woods it would be a good quick bear gun.

I had a T/C Grey Hawk a few years back and will attest to its ability to take home game.
It was a .50 caliber and handled the T/C Maxi Ball hunter with gusto.
The Grey Hawk was the stainless version of the New Englander rifle and was a hunters dream in rough weather.
I currently have a White Mountain Carbine from T/C and a Traditions Lighting Fire side lock that will take care of anything in the lower 48 and most of what's prowling and growling up in the north country.
You did well and now go shoot that great rifle and fall in love!

Looking for a shotgun barrel for my New Englander. Anyone have any ideas of where I can look. GPM

Back