• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C New Englander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are two New Englander rifles in my collection. One is a .50 caliber, the other is a .58 caliber, courtesy of Mr. Hoyt. There are parts of a couple more rifles lying around.

IME: New Englanders are very accurate round ball rifles after the abysmal sights are replaced.

There are two New Englander rifles in my collection. One is a .50 caliber, the other is a .58 caliber, courtesy of Mr. Hoyt. There are parts of a couple more rifles lying around.

IME: New Englanders are very accurate round ball rifles after the abysmal sights are replaced.
I'm sure the Bobby Hoyt modification makes it a accurate RB shooter. But my stock New Englander does not like RB. Try as I did, I just could not make it happen. About as good as I could get out of it was keeping on a paper plate at 50 yards.

It does like conical bullets quite well. Holes touching from 50 with Hornady Great Plains bullets and Maxi Balls. About a 5" group at 100 yards, but I would reckon the rifle shoots more accurate than my old eyes can see.

I recently sold mine to my brother-in-law. He like that it shouldered more like a modern hunting rifle. It did like a very tight fitting patched round ball. I also agreed that the original sites were lousy. I replaced mine with a peep sight. Nice shooting gun!!

NE 457124.jpg

What sights do you have. I’ve kind of thought the same thing about mine, the rear sight is way too big.

Today was a good day to stay by the door! Both my T/C New Englander and Traditions Crockett Rifle showed up. I picked up the New Englander off the Classifieds here on the forum. I am very well pleased with it and it is going to now be my deer rifle this year. Due to it's weight and size, I will be able to carry it better with my disability than I would have with the Lyman Trade Rifle. This T/C is in great shape and IMHO, better than it was described! If you get the opportunity to deal with @nit wit , I highly recommend! Bore was spotless! Can hardly wait to get it in the field and find a good powder/ball combo.😁

View attachment 188842
Nice post Sam, That new englander looks great. [As does the crockett] I agree on nitwit being a solid member to buy from just from reading his posts.. I was tempted to buy one [before nitwit's came up I believe], but being a light trigger aficionado, I held back bc I could not get any answers on the trigger pull wt. of these single trigger TC's. And being pretty much ignorant [newby] of how sidelock triggers actually work, neither could I be enlightened as to difficulty of DIY or the cost of lightening the trigger if I felt the need. For example, I know I can get a trigger job done on a tang safety Ruger 77 for about $45-$65,[and aftermarket triggers $80-$200] but am clueless about this in ML rifles. I wish my buying experience on the forum was as good as yours. I am not a chiseler by nature, and when I see a fair price I offer to buy at that price. Twice I have done this on the forum only to see the sale strangely dissipate. In the 2nd case, charity compels me to assume that the seller has some vastly more important things to deal with right now than selling a rifle. I understand these things happen, though I am in the dark as to what that might be. So, I will still buy the rifle from him if things turn out. In the meantime, and more on topic, I recently walked into a local sporting goods store where they had a brand new Traditions Hawken Woodsman for sale. Immediate gratification overcame me and I walked out the door at $450. Better than any price I saw online and no shipping required. 15 minutes from home. Rifle is very nicely made, has decent sights, goes bang flawlessly so far w cci#11 and T-72f. Bluing is an 8 out of 10 and stock is boring beech but fit and inlays are good. [Not perfect] It s not a TC in total quality/beefyness but it does have a couple features I like better. 1st, the cleanout screw on the drum is a simple slotted affair that is easy to get out. I haven't even tried yet w my son in law's TC Hawken. Allen screw? that looks frozen. 2nd, a cleaning jag cannot pass the drum hole to clog it up when swiping between shots w the Traditions whereas, w the TC, one has to be careful not to go too far and plug it. I did this several times w the TC, had to remove the nipple and charge the drum each time to get it to fire. I use a very light spray of alcohol on the patch from a small mister for these swipes. Not even a hang fire w the Woodsman yet. Wiser percussioneers will straighten me out on whatever I have got wrong here. Hope you enjoy both rifles. Let me know what you can about the NE trigger. SW

Back