• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken with .32 barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hunting pard has one, and yeah. It's heavy. He's here on the site, but if he doesn't answer before long, I'll give him a ring and direct him to this thread. It's a bit early to call, but come to think of it, he just might be online. I'll email him. Stand by.

Capt Augustus said:
Can anyone give me an idea of how much a T/C Hawken weighs with a GM .32 barrel? Being an old guy weight matters.

It varies a little based upon being a 1" or 15/16" barrel but mostly the caliber/bore size that's drilled into them maks the biggest difference.

I have some Hawkens with GM barrels...the 15/16" barrels are all around the 8 lb range give or take a 1/2-3/4 LB.

The small bore .40cal weighs the most, the .54cal a little less due to larger bore, etc.
If you add a brass ramrod, that adds more weight, etc.

My pard hasn't piped up yet with an actual weight, but I can fill in with an informal reaction.

I've handled and shot his, and it feels at least a pound heavier than with the 50 cal barrel, with all that weight out front.

If weight is a real issue, you might look into a Traditions Crockett 32 cal for not a whole lot more money than that 32 cal drop-in barrel will cost you. It's a whole lot lighter than the TC with a 32 cal barrel, and is so well balanced that it feels even lighter. In fact, the Crockett weighs even less than the TC with a 50 cal barrel. Accurate as sin too, but not as well made as a TC.

Well, I went back to the BP Bible, the DGW catalog. Although the chart only went to .46 caliber it looks like .5 oz. per inch, so about a pound rounding off. Does that sound reasonable?

I have a GM 15/16ths .32 barrel. Just went and weighed myself while holding the barrel and while not holding the barrel. According to my wifes bathroom scale the barrel weighs right at 6.5 lbs without the rest of the rifle. Hope that helps.

Sounds right, the tiny .32cal being the heaviest of all...and my guess would be add about 3 pounds for lock, stock, and furniture.

For me, a 9.5 lb - .32cal rifle would be a lot to carry for a long time still hunting for squirrels but if there's a lot of sitting spells it would be manageable.

If a lot of walking is not involved, I like heavy rifles for the additional accuracy they give me and a couple I use for deer hunting average around 10 lbs with a 3/8" solid brass ramrod...but I only carry them a few hundred yards walking in & back out of a place I'll be sitting overlooking a deer trail or something, etc

9 1/2 lbs. is about right. I've packed it around rabbit hunting and for an oldster like myself it's just a little too much to carry around. I've said it before on this forum and I'll say it again if I had to do it all over I would go after a TC Crockett, I believe the overall weight is right around 6 1/2 lbs.. As far as shooting is concerned I really like that Hawken with the GM .32 barrel, but the weight is the problem. Good luck whatever way you decide to go.

Don't have any way to weigh it, but my TC Hawken 36 caliber is even heavier than what your considering because it also wears a 32.5" brass scope and mounts. This is a target, varmint and predator hunting rig, so trekking with it gets broken up by "stands". Without a "lean" you wouldn't want to hold it up very long for a shot though.

tc36H.jpg

The 32 & 36 calibers are real nice to shoot. I just got done finishing a deal with a memeber here on a stock trade for my Cherokee. My orginal stock was one of the youth lengths and I traded for a longer one with double set triggers. It should be here in a day or two, can hardly wait.

Hi everyone! I have a GM bbl in .32 for my hawken, 1 inch bbl. It shoots great, but at a little over 10lbs, it's a handfull to carry all day. later slaphappy

I've got a GM 15/16 .32 on a T/C hawken stock I weighed it with my bow scale and it's an even 8. lbs I love it .the weight never botherd me.

Just weighed my 62 cal SB GM on my hawken stock, and the bathroom scales weighed just over 10 lbs.

Rebel and I went grouse hunting today, and after packing that thing for around 2 miles, I was ready to drop! :grin:

Saw 3 birds, but didn't get a shot off. They were spooky today.

Interesting thread. How much difference in weight is there between a .32 and a .36 caliber GM barrel? I'm guessing not much more than half a pound, if that.

I have a Hawken with the GM Barrel in a 32 cal.It's heavy but it's accurate.I added a padded sling and that really helps.You can pull the sling tight and balance the gun over your shoulder with the padding between your shoulder and the gun.I hunt public woods and do quite a bit of walking.I usually will hunt squirrels from daylight till 11:00.Sometimes I wish the barrel was about a foot shorter.I don't think the accuracy would suffer.

Hey Ray, Cabelas has the .32 Crockett on sale right now for $350.00. They are light as a feather and deadly accurate. David Setoon (sp?) has one and he loves it.

Latest posts

Back