T/C Hawken Rifle Changes

Discussion in 'Percussion Rifles' started by Urban Coyote, Dec 1, 2019 at 7:22 PM.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Dec 1, 2019 at 7:22 PM #1

Urban Coyote

Urban Coyote

Urban Coyote

32 Cal.

T/C Hawken rifles appear to have gone through a number of changes over the years, barrel wedge and lock bolt escutcheons surface mounted rather than inlet, clean out screws discontinued, sight changes, hammer configuration changes, stock shape and perhaps some others.

Are there "better than other" versions of these guns? Do early guns bring a premium? I think I've heard early guns used outsource barrels, Sharon perhaps?

Any info you folks might have would be appreciated.

2. Dec 1, 2019 at 8:19 PM #2

Dibbuk

Dibbuk

Dibbuk

32 Cal.

Speaking from personal experience, I have had half a dozen or so various TC rifles, both old and new, I have not seen much difference as far as accuracy is concerned. I will say that the inlaid escutcheons look nicer than the surface mount, if for no other reason than that they gave more consistent barrel wedge pressure.

3. Dec 1, 2019 at 9:11 PM #3

Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Pilgrim

I think most shot about the same, some better than others, but changes were probably done to appease the bean counters. Sharon and a couple others made barrels early on. Load development has to play the big role.

4. Dec 2, 2019 at 11:49 AM #4

AntiqueSledMan

AntiqueSledMan

AntiqueSledMan

32 Cal

I know at some point they switched to a shorter nipple. Totally replaced the original with the shorter version, but original spec. nipples are made by Treso in Ampco.

5. Dec 3, 2019 at 2:24 PM #5

Cowboy

Cowboy

Cowboy

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

From Cody Wyoming, now lives in Oakwood Illinois
    The TC Hawken went through various changes in its production history. Nothing that had effected its accuracy as has already been mentioned.

Most of the changes were cosmetic in nature. Listed below are some of these that I’m aware of?

1. The earliest model had an iron trigger guard. Was then switched to brass. Not sure of the year?

2. Stock change in the comb area. The early models had a more pronounced comb where it meets the wrist of the stock.

3. one screw nose cap vs two screw nose cap. Again, not sure of year change?

4. Lock bolt escutcheon. Old type had a lip that was sunk into stock to help secure it in place. New type escutcheon had a flat base. Newer type was also slightly taller vs old type.

5. Tang on older model had three screw holes vs two on later type tang. The center screw hole on old type tang was for a peep sight if desired?

6. Furniture which includes: butt plate, trigger guard, nose cap, thimble’s, and lock bolt escutcheon are minutely beefier on later model’s.

7. Breech plug clean out screw absent on newer models.

8. Rear sight? Three variations that I’m aware of.

9. Front sight? Two variations that I’m also aware of.

10. Stamping’s on barrel? Older barrels didn’t have black powder warning stamping’s. Also known as pre warning barrels. Older barrels had various symbols stamped on bottom flat: Heart, Maltese Cross, Star, Letter M with circle around it. These are stamping’s that I’ve personally seen. Not sure what these stamping’s signify? Have heard two different schools of thought. Inspectors stamp, or out sourced barrel from a different manufacturer contracted by TC.

11. Later model barrel also has the word HAWKEN stamped on the right upper flat.

12. Hammer spur change.

13. Tang bolt closest to breech actually screws into trigger guard on later models.

14. Quick Load Accurizor (QLA) is offered on their later model barrel.

In closing: As you can see, there’s been various changes through TC Hawken’s evolution from start to end date of manufacture.

Respectfully, Cowboy

N.Y. Yankee likes this.
  6. Dec 3, 2019 at 5:02 PM #6

N.Y. Yankee

N.Y. Yankee

N.Y. Yankee

32 Cal.

Thanks much for posting that!

7. Dec 4, 2019 at 4:38 AM #7

bubba.50

bubba.50

bubba.50

54 Cal.

Another fine post by Cowboy. He’s done his research and really knows these old guns. I’ll try to add a tidbit or two to a few of his points.

1. The Hawken came out in 1970 and only had the case-colored guard the first year. These early guns have a 4-digit serial number. Don’t know exactly how many but mine had a 4000’s number and by the 7000’s they had switched to brass.

2. Besides the high comb, the very early stocks also had 1/2 inch longer pull.

4. The earliest guns had a smaller fully inlet escutcheon like Lyman still uses. Then came the variations Cowboy listed.

5. The first few years the tangs were two-hole as no-one made peeps for them ‘til the guns got popular. Then they were D&T until TC or S&W or whoever started cutting corners.

7. The so-called “clean-out” screw was actually just a byproduct of the breechplug manufacturin’. People were boogerin’ them up so much they changed to the blind hole on the backside of the plug to cut ddown on repair work.

And lastly, as I said, Cowboy has done is reseaarch and if you look at his posts on some of threads wwhere this topic has already been discussed you can learn even more.

8. Dec 4, 2019 at 5:19 AM #8

Cowboy

Cowboy

Cowboy

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

I appreciate bubba.50’s kind words but anyone who’s been around this forum long enough knows that he’s the real authority when it comes to these TC rifles regardless of model.

Thank you.

Respectfully, Cowboy

9. Dec 5, 2019 at 12:57 AM #9

ugly old guy

ugly old guy

ugly old guy

40 cal - b

Please forgive me, but I gotta ask ... What the heck is a "Quick Load Accurizer" ("QLA")?

From what you discribe, mine is a "later" model. ...
    Tang not drilled for a tang sight (daRn it), tang screw secures the trigger guard ...

10. Dec 5, 2019 at 1:02 AM #10

bubba.50

bubba.50

bubba.50

54 Cal.

The first inch of the bore is bored out to groove diameter supposedly as an aid to start conical bullets straighter thus increasing accuracy. That’s the theory anyway. Most people, if they have an opinion at all, donn’t like it. It’s never affected me one way or the other.

As for the tang, it’s a pretty simple job to D&T one 8x32 hole even with a hand drill.

11. Dec 5, 2019 at 1:53 AM #11

Cowboy

Cowboy

Cowboy

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

4A66D82D-58AC-4138-9698-5B0D77AFB8B5.jpeg

ugly old guy and bubba.50 like this.
  12. Dec 5, 2019 at 2:53 PM #12

ugly old guy

ugly old guy

ugly old guy

40 cal - b

Thankee ! :)
    I'm pleased to say my Hawken's barrel ain't got that gimick. :)