• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken and Conical Bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy2

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had an earlier thread that was tangentially on this issue in the Hunting section, but its taken a on a life of its own, and I'd like to ask a more focused question.

Mine is a .50, though caliber might not be terribly relevant here (in that, what works, works):

For those of you shooting conicals, which have you had the best results with?

I've got a GPR flintlock which is more or less a dedicated prb gun, so I'm thinking about turning my T/C 1/48" into a dedicated conical rifle. As a handloader, I understand every barrel is different, but in the interest of spending a little less money hunting the best bullet, I am wondering who's had great results from what. 245gr Powerbelts group very well (right at 2" at 100yds), but I'd like to try something with a little more weight/tradition to it. What results have you gotten from the T/C and Lyman bullets? Or better yet, the DixieGunWorks Maxi-balls?

I've had good luck with TC MaxiHunters and TC MaxiBall but not in the same TC rifles go figure!!! I ALWAYS use a wool felt patch over the powder which in all cases seemed to tighten up my groups helps with the potential for leading too. powder charge has been 80gr max of pyrodex rs or Goex FFG The good thing is you have 50 cal and either conical should be easier to find,I'm kinda amazed that the the Pbelt worked so well as it is for 1/28 pitch I think

Maxi balls are hard to beat. A long time ago I had a T/C Hawken with a 1-48 twist and it shot very well with Maxi balls. More recently I had one of those unmentionable type guns with a 1-28 twist that also shot Maxi balls very well. I have even tried a few in my flintlock with a 1-72 barrel. The few I tried at 50 yds shot OK and didn't have any noticeable tumbling at least at that range. I don't think I have ever tried them with anything other than 90 gr 2F Goex or Pyrodex RS
Dale

I am not sure that the mention of plastic skirted bullets is allowed ( :v ), but for my dedicated conical barrel (a Lyman GPH) I have found the 250 grain Lee REAL bullets to be very accurate. Now, I can tear our the bullseye at 75 yards pretty quickly using those but the best accuracy requires 95 grains of 3f and my shoulder won't put up with more than a half dozen shots before throwing in the towel. The addition of a lubed Wonder Wad increases accuracy in this barrel too.

I have had good luck with Maxi-balls in 1-48 or faster twist. They don't expand as well as a lot of others. Also they seem to work good with heavier charges of powder. Larry

I have had good results with Hornady 385 Grains Great Plains bullets in my 50 cal. Hawken.

I use a 325 gr. TC maxiball over 90 gr. 3f goex black powder in my TC .50cal flinter. Very good accuracy out to 100 yards. Off the bench I can hold within about an inch of the bulls eye, close enough for a hunting load to drop the deer (and have done so).

I am not a fan of the powerbelt bullets in any rifle. Results with powerbelts vary too much from lot to lot. I have had real good luck with the Hornady great plains 385 grain bullet with: 90 grains of Triple seven 2F, ox-yoke lubed felt wad over powder. I use the CCI #11 mag caps for hunting in my TC 50 cal Hawken, but have had good luck with the regular cap in my 45 cal TC Hawken which I use for target shooting.

I use the TC maxiballs in a 54 cal TC Hawken caplock with 100 grains 2f Goex and get great results. Very close group at 100 yds. I would not shoot 150 yds at an animal but tried it on paper and was quite impressed that I got them on the target about the size of a paper plate. Could barely see the target. Funny how fickle a gun can be though as I also tried the TC maxihunter and it shot all over the target no matter what I tried for a load.

I shoot the powerbelts in my TC 54 Firehawk (one of those unmentionable things) with (2) 50 grain pyrodex pellets and at 100 yards and a Leupold 3x9 I can almost drop them in the same hole so my luck with the powerbelts has been much better however I think the twist is 1:38 so that may be the difference.

Safe shooting.

Dave

Try the Lyman Plains bullet. Like the Hornady, that big flat nose sure seems to swat game a lot harder than the pointy maxi, all else being equal.

Made up 28 pieces tonight of a .588" diameter blunt nosed minie with the rear ring sized to .580" and the middle ring being the transition point between the two diameters: An experiment working towards a home made heavy .58 for a 48" twist that loads like a maxi. Hopefully get to test soon.

Latest posts

Back