• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Inspector marks And The Myth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nit wit

.69 Cal.
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Deester Bees
Admin
Top contributor

Happy to: The myth came about That "If your T/C Barrel had a Maltase Cross stamped into the barrel it was a Dougles barrel." But first I must explain what that mark meant. (The Inspector's Mark.) Not every Thompson Center Barrels was test fired and inspected. Since every barrel was made from the same materials, built and assembled via the same exacting specifications. It was felt that a random sampling was all that was needed to assure quality and performance. A mark was assigned to the inspector so in the event of catastrophic failure T/C would know who the inspector was. Because between 1970 and 1974 when Douglas was supplying barrels to Thompson Center The only inspector T/C had utilized the Maltase Cross as an identifier. So T/C employees use to tell people "If your barrel has a Maltase Cross stamped into it then you probably Have a gun with a Douglas barrel. Probably being the key word here, Because the inspector who used the Maltase Cross remained as an inspector after Thompson Center began making their own Barrels. Add to that not every barrel was test fires there are thousands of Douglas barrels in T/C rifles with no inspector's mark.
As for the spade. That is an easy one to dispel, Sharon barrel did not come into existence until 1970. Hall Sharon had a background as a machinist and a gunsmith. Sharon had been established in California, but he wanted a change and purchased the gunsmithing and barrel making business of John Buhmiller in Kalispell, Montana in 1970.
Sharon initially focused on making barrels for modern, high power rifles and quickly established himself as a respected barrel maker in that market. Looking to expand his business, he started making quality muzzleloader barrels in late 1973, about the same time Thompson Center was gearing up to make their own barrels. Because Hal Sharon was a small business with limited production capability Hal Concentrated on high quality rather than volume production.
By December of 1973 T/C was capable of producing in excess of 3,000 barrels a month. should they need more than that they would have simply added a second shift. In the mid 80s when Thompson Center began to feature many different models, they addes a second boring mill and rifling press. So there never was a need for T/C to use Sharon Barrels.
However, for a short time Hal did provide Thompson Center with some Modern barrels for the Contender. Which actually turned out to be his downfall. Hal advertised in some of his muzzleloader adds that he had made barreIs for T/C which was true. However, the wording in the add made it sound as though he made Muzzleloader barrels for the company. when T/C advised him they were unhappy Hal claimed everything in the add was true and refused to change it. will Have to dig out the Documentation to be sure of the dates but I believe it was in 1976 T/C filed suit against Hal. The case was settled without going to court, and by 1777 hal was out of business.

And there it is:
Nit Wit
  • 3h

Thank you. Actually some documentable truth and sanity amongst a plethora of ....well you know, and so does the auto correct for the forum...LOL

but but but, i have a barrel with a dragon inside a circle smoking a joint while riding a bicycle over the grand canyon! my cousins third wifes ex boyfriend told me it was a....................................................
sorry. just happy for some "from the horses mouth" info.

Latest posts

Back