• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T c bore butter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received a letter from S&W. They must have bought Thompson Center, bore butter on the tube, is no longer made.

Good Afternoon
We no longer manufacture that product. We recommend using CLP cleaning solution. If you have any questions, please let us know.
Thank you
Brendan

Don't get too hung up on Bore Butter.

Make your own muzzleloading version of chapstick (Bore Butter or Wonderlube). All it takes is a double boiler, vegetable oil and bee's wax.

I make my version from olive oil and bee's wax. In the summer to make a stiffer version use one part of olive oil and one part of bee's wax mixed in a double boiler. The lower heat makes mixing the two ingredients without over heating the components. Add more oil to make a softer mix. Add a few drops of oil of wintergreen if you just have to have the Bore Butter smell. Use a a patch lubricant or conical bullet lubricant. There are far better products to use as rust inhibitors such as Barricade.

There are many good patch lubricants such as a mix of water soluble oil 1 part and 4 to 10 parts of water. A mixture of the dishwashing liquid soap you have in the kitchen mixed with water makes a very good patch lubricant. I suspect we can come up with about 16,000 versions of very good patch lubricants. Many are home brewed and some can be purchased such as Mr. Flintlock.

Last edited:
I found that my veg oil + bees wax worked well. It didn't release well though and it was suggested that I add a bit of lanolin to the mix. I've bought it but haven't lubed any bullets since. It's very simple though and the ability to control the viscosity for the ambient weather is a big plus. As suggested to me, lube in smaller amounts so you don't end up with the wrong lube for the weather or stuff that's dried out. Enjoy!

Back