• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Barrel swap question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mako224

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been watching Ebay and there are a number of TC barrels and parts on there. I have a .36 Seneca and a .50 Hawkin and my question is can I buy a .45 Seneca barrel and have it fit the stock of my .36. Likewise could I buy a .45 Hawkin barrel for my .50 Hawkin??????

In essence what I am asking is are the barrels interchangable on the stocks. I know a seneca barrel will not fit a hawkin but what about different callibers within the same model????

mako224 said:
I have been watching Ebay and there are a number of TC barrels and parts on there. I have a .36 Seneca and a .50 Hawkin and my question is can I buy a .45 Seneca barrel and have it fit the stock of my .36. Likewise could I buy a .45 Hawkin barrel for my .50 Hawkin??????

In essence what I am asking is are the barrels interchangable on the stocks. I know a seneca barrel will not fit a hawkin but what about different callibers within the same model????
Yes...

TC 13/16" Seneca and Cherokee barrels are interchangable (.32/.36/.45cals)

TC 15/16" Hawken barrels (.45/.50cals)are interchangable in the reguar size Hawken stock.

TC 1" Hawken barrels (.54/.58cals) are interchangable in the large size Hawken stock

You really, really have to be careful about buying that stuff on EBay...many of the sellers have become more and more unscrupulous as they've learned the in's & out's of EBay...and/or don't have a clue about what they're selling...and you'll end up with unreturnable junk.

The 36 and 45 will both fit in Seneca stock if both are Seneca Barrels, I have both for mine. Barrels are interchangeable by barrel flats sizes Dilly

"TC 13/16" Seneca and Cherokee barrels are interchangable (.32/.36/.45cals)"

My personal experience is that this isn't exactly an accurate statement. I purchased a .32 calibre Cherokee barrel for use on one of my Seneca stocks. I found that the Seneca forearm is somewhat longer than that of the Cherokee. As a result. the Cherokee barrel would not work as a drop-in fit. It was necessary to remove the under barrel rib before the barrel could be mounted in the Seneca stock. Eventually I may shorten the under barrel rib so it can be remounted on the Cherokee barrel. In the mean time, I can use the barrel in the Seneca stock only with this rib removed.

Even though you might find a barrel from the same model gun, and in a perfect world it should easily swap out with the original barrel... please be aware that you could still have problems. There are subtle differences between two seemingly identical barrels and breeches.

More specifically, the patent breech may have a slightly different alignment with respect to the hammer & nipple relationship. That would entail changing (bending) the hammer to the proper angle. If that happens, you should buy a 2nd hammer to bend for the new replacement barrel, and keep the original barrel and hammer as a matched set. You really can't keep bending the hammer around to match whatever barrel happens to be on it. It just won't stand up to that much change, and you really wouldnt' have an interchangeable 2 caliber system, would you...?

I've been at the same point as you're heading for and thought you should be made aware of the potential for problems. Contrarily, you may find a barrel that fits perfectly and the alignment with hammer & nipple is likewise perfection. I am hoping that is the case.

Regards, and best of luck on your search,
WV_Hillbilly

I have purcase some items off e bay just like shopping you have to know what the item sell for new:seem the auction people sometime pay more on e bay then if they bought it new. I also think a sellers fedback is someting to look at . :thumbsup:

10 Thumbs said:
"TC 13/16" Seneca and Cherokee barrels are interchangable (.32/.36/.45cals)"

My personal experience is that this isn't exactly an accurate statement. I purchased a .32 calibre Cherokee barrel for use on one of my Seneca stocks. I found that the Seneca forearm is somewhat longer than that of the Cherokee. As a result. the Cherokee barrel would not work as a drop-in fit. It was necessary to remove the under barrel rib before the barrel could be mounted in the Seneca stock. Eventually I may shorten the under barrel rib so it can be remounted on the Cherokee barrel. In the mean time, I can use the barrel in the Seneca stock only with this rib removed.
It's as accurate a statement as the manufacturer makes it...TC's catalog says they're interchangeable...similarly GM also states that their TC replacement barrels for Hawkens & Renegades are "drop-in" barrels, but it's pretty common knowledge in our hobby that the occasional variances in finished mass produced stocks may require a minor trim here, a shaving there, etc.

For example, I've accumulated 5 of GM's "Drop-In" barrels and have had to make minor alterations to the underrib on three of them just because of the minor variance in the length of the forarm/nosecap on a given stock...only takes a few minutes to remove the rib, touch the end to a grinder, dab some Birchwood Casey's bluing paste to the tip and reinstall.

in addition, I've had to grind down the bottom flat of the wedge pin tenon on a couple GM barrels so the tenon didn't hang down so low into the ramrod channel and block it from being slid into the stock.

I agree with roundball about ebay be sure you ask questions about any item you are bidding on there I recently asked about bore condition of a barrel listed on ebay,the reply was: "I dont know I dont have a borelight" needless to say I did not bid on it.....good luck

OK. I am not a novice, and I understand about manufacturing tolerances. But that is not what I am talking about in this case. I re-mounted the underbarrel lug on my Cherokee barrel and aligned it in the Seneca stock and took the attached photo. Now dispite what T/C may claim, I do not consider this a "subtle difference", "an occasional variance", or a situation that might require some minor stock trimming. I stand by my pervious statement that "in my PERSONAL experience" I do not consider these barrels to be inter-changable without a significant shortening of the underbarrel lug.

445498.JPG

I don't know if you can tell from the photo, but over an inch would need to be removed from the rear of the underbarrel lug and a new mounting hole drilled. The bottom flat of the barrel would need to have a matching hole drilled and tapped. While the shortening and drilling of the underbarrel lug may be a minor operation, I consider drilling and tapping the barrel itself, by an in-experienced person, an invitation to problems.

10 Thumbs said:
OK. I am not a novice, and I understand about manufacturing tolerances. But that is not what I am talking about in this case. I re-mounted the underbarrel lug on my Cherokee barrel and aligned it in the Seneca stock and took the attached photo. Now dispite what T/C may claim, I do not consider this a "subtle difference", "an occasional variance", or a situation that might require some minor stock trimming. I stand by my pervious statement that "in my PERSONAL experience" I do not consider these barrels to be inter-changable without a significant shortening of the underbarrel lug.

I don't know if you can tell from the photo, but over an inch would need to be removed from the rear of the underbarrel lug and a new mounting hole drilled. The bottom flat of the barrel would need to have a matching hole drilled and tapped. While the shortening and drilling of the underbarrel lug may be a minor operation, I consider drilling and tapping the barrel itself, by an in-experienced person, an invitation to problems.
Wow...never seen anything like[url] that...in[/url] my references it was a mere 1/16" to 1/8" that needed trimming off the end of the rib...not even enough to cut, just had to touch it to the grinder to clear the nose.

In double checking TC's catalog just now...it lists the .36 & .45cal barrels right there in the same Seneca ad.

Don't know what to make of that photo unless in it's lifetime that barrel was altered somehow??

Dunno...

Last edited by a moderator:
mako224, did you ever enterain the thought of makin yur own or replacment barrel or havin one made?? I've owned a couple of TC's and never been to fond of their stubby barrels and button type rifling. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY NEGATIVE FEED BACK, :nono: just bein picky. They are by far, the best Company out there, in quality control, customer care and service.... I bought a Seneca 36 cal in the 70's, liked everything but the short barrel.
Using hand tools only I bought a couple of breech plugs and made a 34" 36cal. and 36" 45cal. Douglas barrel replacments. SHHWEEET!!! Both would shoot under an inch at 50yds and all touch at 25yds. Feels like a totaly different rifle. :)
PA290028.jpg

You have my interest. How does one make one of these barrels and where do you get the barrel blank and other needed parts. Is there someplace I can get a custom barrel made without breaking the bank?

I think I saw that track of the wolf could make up a Seneca barrel. I was searching last week under the term Seneca and the option of a barrel being made came up

If Track of the Wolf makes up a custom barrel for a Seneca, I'd say the odds are good that it would be done by William Young. He's the gentleman who made up the .40 calibre Seneca barrel for me and did a fantastic job at a reasonable price. If you're interested, I'd suggest dealing directly with Mr. Young.

I think 10 Thumbs has the best advice. Give them a call and see what they say. I checked the price with some of my sources. :shocked2:Ouch!! I would recommend sending the lock and stock if possible and browning it yourself to save return time and money. :thumbsup:
Jim

ALSO - I have an Investarms Hawken stock which wears a .50 T/C Roundball barrel. Dropped in and shoots great. AND - I have a Great Plains .54 which also fits that stock (although it now has it's own Investarms stock). I had to replace the rib and pipes and cut a new wedge tenon dovetail and remove some wood in the barrel channel for the GPR tenon. As has been said, ribs & hammers may have to be delt with. Gun Parts Corp. has hammers for a couple of bucks. Bill

Latest posts

Back