• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C .50 cal Flintlock question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unless you're running an aftermarket breech plug, your T/C has a "Nock" style breech, as shown in the photos (which are, i'm pretty sure, a flint breechplug)

I have several flintlocks without this system, and they work just fine, but for a while the 'patent breech' was all the rage and any one who didn't have one was a compleat fool, would never have huis gun work properly, would be unable to hit the floor if he fell on it, would be ugly, have his mother dress him funny, and would be roundly mocked by the black powder cognoscenti world wide. Not really sure why T/C went to the trouble to make their rifles with this system, since a plain old flat face breech will work as well (in my experience) ... but it does look "kewl" in the marketing literature, and thos with very little experience in such matters will be impressed ... i know i was ...

as you can see, the chamber gets much thinner after the barrel meets the breechplug. if you want to get this super clean, get a .22 cal brush which will fit down the smaller portion of the system. (i use a synthetic bristle brush - don't tell the P,C, police :) )

if you take the barrel out of the rifle (easily done) and put it in a small bucket of warm soapy water, then run a patch up and down the barrel, the water will be pulled up the barrel when you withdraw the cleaning rod, and you can pump water back and forth, thus completely cleaning out you bore. A few dry patches, some good oil, and you're all set. You can even do this at the range if you're so inclined.

Good luck with your new rifle: it will serve you well for several generations if properly maintained. A shame that T/C is out of business.

Got the T/C .50 cal flintlock done and got it to the range today. I started off at 100 yd. with .490 ball and .015 patch with mink grease for lube, 70 gr. of 2F Goex behind ball, and 4F Goex in pan. First shot on paper :), after that I got 4 pan flashes in a row with no ignition, played around a little with the pick and flash hole liner and finally got #2 to ignite.
Made a sight adjustment and decided to try 3FGoex behind ball, and 4F Goex in pan, next 7 shots went off without any fooling with flash hole, and noticed a lot faster ignition. It seemed that I could get the 3F powder to trickle out of flash hole minutely better, and the flint looks as good as the first time I sparked it.
Adjusted sights again and ended up shooting my last 5 into the circled area,:D I was on a bench with sand bags, off hand will probably be another story. The pictures are of my T/C Seneca .36 and the new to me T/C .50. Small game an big game,😁 I am all set to go. Wished I would have done this years ago:(. Thanks to all for your input.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 47
Back