• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C 45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 45-50 grains of 3f black powder, .440 ball and a .012 to .015 patch. I dampen the patch with Mr. Flintlock or ballistol and water mix. That works good out to 50 yards. I shoot 60 gr. for 100 yards. I shoot targets but I don't hunt.

I use 45-50 grains of 3f black powder, .440 ball and a .012 to .015 patch. I dampen the patch with Mr. Flintlock or ballistol and water mix. That works good out to 50 yards. I shoot 60 gr. for 100 yards. I shoot targets but I don't hunt.
Good but I go to 55 gr. for 100 yard targets as it doesn't drop as much. For hunting deer I use 65 gr.

Mine is just targets and small game. I tried 45 gr 3f the first session and it worked fine. Lee mold 445 .018 patch and any lube. I've done pretty well on 100 yard targets using hold over but vision becomes more and more limiting.

My Cherokee likes 60gr FFFg, a .445" ball and a .012" patch. Smaller balls and/or thicker patches and it won't shoot. The rifling is pretty shallow.

I have the Hawken, it does well with 40 gr on up to 80 of 3 F of good black powder. Reckon i ought to do more of the part of the load. Irun the powder charge then i put a veggie wad over it. Then i use flannel patching up to 65 gr of powder. Higher loads get a dry wool wad over the powder. Those wads seal & don't let the flannel patching burn through.

My 45s, I have three, seem to like 60g of FFF behind a patched round balls. I will admit though that I have not experimented with other loads except in one gun but with the 60g loads they all shoot great

My TC cherokeee liks a .440 ball .010 patch, and 40 grain FF or 35 FFF. The 45 caliber Hawken likes a ,440 ball .010 patch, 45 grain FF or 40 grain FFF.

Back