• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Synthetic grease as a patch lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenjoytj

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Has this type of synthetic grease been tried as a patch lube?
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/gxc.aspx

Amsoil GXC X-Treme, is a white colored food grade synthetic grease.

Open the above link and check out its temperature properties.

It might be a good substitute for natural animal fat based lubes that can go rancid in time.
Maybe some one has already tested this or a similar product as a patch lube.
Being a synthetic (non petroleum) product it may not produce the objectionable tarry fouling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks interesting and $9.90 for 14 oz isn't bad. Flash point between olive oil and castor oil.

Question may be how goopey is it at room temperature? Give it a try and let us know.

But you'll never sway those looking for authenticity or a reasonable approximation. :idunno:

Yeah, I will not likley give up my bees wax/Bear oil mix or Bees wax and a numder of other natural animal or veggy oils, I guess I just am not into the march of progress that drives so many these days.

It may work well, no reason not to give it a try. But as to animal fat going rancid, I have deer tallow I rendered several years ago sitting in an open container and it looks and smells the same as when I first rendered it. I have a partial bottle of marmot oil probably 8-10 years old, still usable. I have a couple of plastic tubs of mutton tallow from Dixie Gun Works at least 5 years old and still good. If properly rendered, I don't believe animal oil or tallow will go rancid, at least not in a dry atmosphere.

I have a very old tube of a white patch grease put out by Traditions that goes back decades. Don't even know if it's still available. I wonder if it is similar to what you describe. It looks very much like the lithium grease I sometimes use on locks. The Trad white grease did fine in revolvers and prb.

It's been working pretty good for me as an "over ball" grease in my Dragoon.

I'm workin' on inventing a "squeezer" that don't look like it belongs in a kitchen or bathroom, think I've about got it worked out...

Latest posts

Back