• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The most complicated patch lube ever :

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncNZ

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at the range today and saw a guy using spit on his patches , that got me wondering what is in saliva which makes it better than water as a lube .Turns out it is the most complicated lube ever
This is what I found on Wikipedia

Produced in salivary glands, human saliva comprises 99.5% water, but also contains many important substances, including electrolytes, mucus, antibacterial compounds and various enzymes.[1]
How about that each shot kills millions of bacteria :) :)

Has to be variations of the above blend. Early on, no matter what was in my spit, the patching material just tasted bad , even with a Canadian Lord Calvert chaser. Never could "hock up a Louie when really need a patch lube , so just switched to sheep fat, Old Zip from Dixie , then that pink stuff from Hohoba beans. Whatever that is.
Thanks Cutfinger for the spit formula enlightenment. My life is now complete. My son RIP , had a BS deg. in Bioscience , whatever that was. Luck to ya...............oldwood

I never have tried just plain water on a patch to compare with spit. Anyone ever try to compare the two?

CORRECT! Tobbacky spit will win competitions. However it really will matter what brand you chew, mainly based on the climatic conditions while shooting. As we know from extensive testing the cheaper brands like Grizzly will not preform as well in high humidity and hot conditions as will say a good soaking of Copenhagan.

Now when you think you have the brand down with the conditions ya gotta factor in new dip vs old (fresh will give a more of the sought after colors on the patch) as well as a heavy sopping or just dampned.

Leaf or snuff?

Spit patch dos have 345,981 different recipes. Find the right one for you! (as usual each gun likes a different variant....good luck)

I was at the range today and saw a guy using spit on his patches , that got me wondering what is in saliva which makes it better than water as a lube .Turns out it is the most complicated lube ever
This is what I found on Wikipedia

Produced in salivary glands, human saliva comprises 99.5% water, but also contains many important substances, including electrolytes, mucus, antibacterial compounds and various enzymes.[1]
How about that each shot kills millions of bacteria :) :)
Arrrrg were all gonna get Covid...

We all learned at a quite young age that mother's saliva was the strongest cleaning agent known and it worked best when applied with a handkerchief. :D
Always in public and usually in front of all your friends , mothers invented the headlock wrestling hold for just that purpose .🤣🤣🤣

Back