• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swiss Vs Goex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wink said:
Is Swiss better than Goex.

Haveing shot both, I could see very little if any difference between them.
I have been using Goex regularly since the early '80s and have had no problems of any kind with it. Since Goex is easier to obtain (for me) I feel "if it isn't broke, don't fix it".

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

twisted_1in66 said:
manyirons said:
Already said, cleaner an hotter, Swiss fer me.

Don't forget the "more expensive" part of that equation...

-------------------------------------------
Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

My sentiments exactly...it would do nothing for me that Goex 3F doesn't already do...I shoot 1-2 cans of Goex 3F every month and if it was any better I couldn't stand it

Having shot both I found Goex to be in expensive and easier to find but Swiss cleaner and more accurate in my guns. The cost difference is not that great when you consider you can use less to get the same preformance.

Jon

More expensive dont matter, 25-50 pounds, catch tha sales, and diff aint enough ta sweat. Betters better.

I feel the Swiss is faster or a least fewer hang fires. I know this will open a can of worms but I use a powder Swiss sells called NullB for my prime. I can and have used everything from 1 1/2 F to 4F but I like the NullB. I'm told it is the equilvent of 7F and it goes off like a flash bulb. Very fast and hot. It is very dear, about $30 a pound but I'm still on my first pound and have been using it for more than a year. I've been warned to be carfull of moisture but have never had a problem with it.

Jon

Jon (or anyone else)

Any reason "not" to purchase Swiss FFF for my non entry-level sidelocks and inlines?

If not, what would be a good grain volume starting point? I normally use Pyrodex Select for a comparison - around 80 grains in my sidelocks and 100 in my inlines???? :nono:

Other than the higher cost, I can't think of any reason not to buy the Swiss powder. It screens well, and shoots well. Its just so much more expensive than Goex powder that its hard to justify the price.

As for loads, FFFg powders are higher pressure powders, and the standard rule is to reduce the volume of powder used by 15% from what equivalent charge you might use if you loaded FFg powder, or one of the substitutes for BP. You don't give us a caliber on the guns you shoot, and we don't discuss the In*&#$ things on this forum. So, without knowing what caliber you are shooting, and whether you are shooting Patched Round Ball( PRB )
or conicals, and then how much your conicals weigh, its hard to recommend a load. Basically, using any black powder, if you don't have a loading manual to use for a basic starter load, the old recommendation was to use a volume of powder that is nominally the same " weight " as the caliber of the gun. Work up from there in 5 grain increments, until you find a load that works. I recommend using a chronograph for all such work up shooting, as it tells you much, and saves you time and money. If you have a specific question about a specific combination of components, please let us know. When you get down to real details, we have years of experience which can diagnose problems, and help you solve them without spending half your life trying one thing, and then another.

As Rebel said, not necessarily better , just hotter and a bit cleaner burning.
When you look at GOEX powder it’s really black. SWISS looks more grey.
Link
The side is in french and english
:hatsoff:

If you screen Goex powder yourself, you won't see much, if any difference in how it burns or cleans. Goex is now coming out with a new, Express powder which I understand is screened better, and may be a little hotter burning than their standard powder. This is aimed for the BP cartridge market. It will probably work okay in percussion guns. Whether you will get similar results in flintlocks remains to be seen.

Back