• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swiss BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay I have a question for all you that have been at this a while. I recently switch to Swiss after years of using Goex. Said everyone… Now Swiss makes two different kinds of powder. The black powder we are all use to and the caviar. I hear the Caviar is for the BP cartridge shooters. Can this be safely used in a muzzleloader with a patch and ball?

Attachments

• 6C7A291D-1736-4499-804D-1CDD6635AC0C.png
    6C7A291D-1736-4499-804D-1CDD6635AC0C.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 81
  • AE6224EF-502D-45C5-A939-7F208BF8F0B1.png
    AE6224EF-502D-45C5-A939-7F208BF8F0B1.png
    250.1 KB · Views: 74
I have not tried the "Caviar." It appears to be 1.5 Fg, which would be pretty coarse. The manufacturer's website indicates it should be used in rifles of .45 caliber or greater. The Buffalo Arms website states it "meters better in your powder measure" than regular black powder, which, I guess, is why it would appeal to the BP cartridge shooters for reloading. I think the now obsolete Olde Eynsford 1.5 Fg was also intended for the BP cartridge shooters, but one of our forum members did some testing with it in a Hawken-style rifle with very good results.

I think the consensus is that it won't hurt anything to shoot it in your muzzleloader, but with the relatively coarse granulation, I would expect it to burn a little slower than the 2F or 3F that most people use. However, I have not tried it.

Notchy Bob

Yes, it can but why would you? I Use Swiss 3F for pretty much EVERYTHING including priming. Works great, a LOT less powder grades to carry around and keep in stock and I would never consider going back to using various grades of powder for my different caliber flintlocks when they ALL work great on Swiss 3F. I do use the Swiss 2F in my .75 caliber Brown Bess musket but otherwise I use exclusively Swiss 3F powder.

Have talked to several fellow BPCR competitors about caviar and the consensus it's not worth the extra coin over standard Swiss 1.5. I have tried, but not worked up a load, Swiss 1.5 in my 58 cal front stuffers and it ignites fine.

Caviar ball was offered in several fineness grades. I think the idea is greater
uniform burn rates. Surface area to combust is key. For general use, I vote
for basic good inexpensive powder. I do not want to be price-conscious when
doing something I love. Where is my Graf's private label?

Yes, it can but why would you? I Use Swiss 3F for pretty much EVERYTHING including priming. Works great, a LOT less powder grades to carry around and keep in stock and I would never consider going back to using various grades of powder for my different caliber flintlocks when they ALL work great on Swiss 3F. I do use the Swiss 2F in my .75 caliber Brown Bess musket but otherwise I use exclusively Swiss 3F powder.
Funnily enough, while ordering a few more pounds tonight, I almost got a pound of 2f, and realized I only use it in my smooth 20ga. Decided I had enough and just got another lb of 4f for priming. Never used Swiss 4f to prime so we'll see if it's worth 10 more dollars than Schuetzen.

Caviar ball was offered in several fineness grades. I think the idea is greater
uniform burn rates. Surface area to combust is key. For general use, I vote
for basic good inexpensive powder. I do not want to be price-conscious when
doing something I love.
Where is my Graf's private label?
One of the reasons I like to use Swiss.

wm

I stlll have 3 pounds of Goex left & quit shooting it after trying Schuetzen & Swiss.
My guns cleans up a lot easier using Swiss 1st, Schuetzen 2nd & Goex last.
Swiss is my go to powder anymore.
Likewise! I also have about 8 pounds of Goex left. Shoots great at paper, have to burn it somehow

Swiss is costly enough to generally be out of or at least at the very borderline of my reach $$. But I do still have half a pound of Swiss 3F. I tried it in my .32 and really like it for that purpose. With only a little bit left the .32 - maybe try it in the .36 eventually - is about the only rifle I'll use it in.

Latest posts

Back