• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swiss BP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swiss is costly enough to generally be out of or at least at the very borderline of my reach $$. But I do still have half a pound of Swiss 3F. I tried it in my .32 and really like it for that purpose. With only a little bit left the .32 - maybe try it in the .36 eventually - is about the only rifle I'll use it in.
I’ve found I use less Swiss to get the same performance as I use to with Goex. So a pound goes a bit further

Okay I have a question for all you that have been at this a while. I recently switch to Swiss after years of using Goex. Said everyone… Now Swiss makes two different kinds of powder. The black powder we are all use to and the caviar. I hear the Caviar is for the BP cartridge shooters. Can this be safely used in a muzzleloader with a patch and ball?
It’s simple it’s just fine grade black powder (by that I mean quality) kind of like whiskey there’s all different grades.

I spent some time at the range today using Swiss 3f for the first time in a .45 and .54, great results so far where accuracy is concerned using lighter charges. Although I haven't stretched it out yet to 75+yards. But more interesting to me was the minimal fouling in the bore of either gun.

I spent some time at the range today using Swiss 3f for the first time in a .45 and .54, great results so far where accuracy is concerned using lighter charges. Although I haven't stretched it out yet to 75+yards. But more interesting to me was the minimal fouling in the bore of either gun.
Save that 3f for the 45 if you can and try 1.5f Swiss in the 54 you might be able to get some 1.5f from buffalo arms they had some yesterday. I heard people saw no difference in it over 2f. I’d suspect you get s good clean using 3F in that 54.

It’s really not that coarse. I have always shot Goex and recently went to Swiss. I was at a BP shot one weekend this summer and the shooter next to me let me try some, like that I was sold. I use the 11/2 F in my .62 Hawken.
I had a pound of Swiss 1 1/2Fg. It almost required a railroad flare to ignite. Gave it away to a friend
So very true I use it and 1 in my bess and Charleville never a problem Swiss of course not the brand x powders. Next time I will take pictures of the powder and the bess firing with less than a 1/16 in diameter touch hole. 😉

I checked and they were out of Swiss-had Schutzen though.
Other than the cost of shipping it may not be a bad idea to purchase that. I had placed a back order for 2F Swiss Caviar maybe a week or two before the crisis with Goex to give you the time line. I called them Friday to see where it was. There were several posts on the forum that guys said they just got Swiss from Buffalo. So the gent I spoke to told me they received no caviar. Damn. The bad part who would think the grades are shipped differently. They don’t expect cavair until spring time! So had I known I would have split the order. I was lucky enough to catch them with some 1.5 F left which I’ve used and had zero misfires or flash in the pans. I don’t get the needing a flare comment to ignite it. I have had no problem with 1F in my bess or Charleville. And thanks to that thinking I was able to get a few pounds I’m thinking. Go to midway powder valley and sign up for notifications. And maybe order some Schutzen 3F just to keep you shooting. Until things settle down I think we’re in for another few years of this. I’ll go back to metallic cartridges with smokeless which I still do but not like my flintlocks. It’s just not the same.

They say I am a conspiracy nut, but I do not trust that it is all
supply and demand. I think people are slow-walking it and
that there are intended hold-ups.

I use Swiss for most of my shooting. I have had some experience with Goex when in the US and I also shoot a lot of Wano and a Polish brand "Sloty Stock". for what it is worth, the Swiss is hotter and burns a tad cleaner. You may withdraw like 10 to 15% of your favorite Goex load if turning to shooting Swiss powder. I typically use 45gn. fffg Swiss in my .47 cal. Old Virginia "Klette" rifle with a 1:72 inch twist and a 46 inch barrel. It is breeze to shoot.

Back