• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sunday Hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sir,

You need to add Virginia to the no big game hunting on Sunday list.

Best Regards,

Sky-Dogg

According to the Aug. 2005 issue of the NRA Insights magazine (News For Young Shooters), there are 9 states that prohibit Sunday hunting for wild game:
Alabama
Connecticut
Delaware
Maine
Massachussetts
New Jersey
Pennsylvania*
Virginia

Pennsylvania allows 3 exceptions - crows, foxes, coyotes

38 states allow unrestricted Sunday hunting.

Maryland, South Carolina & West Virginia allow Sunday hunting with some restrictions.

According to the Aug. 2005 issue of the NRA Insights magazine (For Young Shooters), there are 9 states that prohibit Sunday hunting:
Alabama
Connecticut
Delaware
Maine
Massachussetts
New Jersey
Pennsylvania*
Virginia

Pennsylvania allows 3 exceptions - crows, foxes, coyotes

38 states allow unrestricted Sunday hunting.

Maryland, South Carolina & West Virginia allow Sunday hunting with some restrictions.

The list is incorrect...North Carolina does not allow Sunday hunting.

Massachusetts isnt bad if you live were I do,right on the New Hampshire border. I can almost spit into NH. I get both licences that way I get to hunt early (grouse and pheasant start oct 1 in NH, I get to hunt every sunday in NH,and I get to hunt grouse/pheasant until dec 31 in NH, Mass shuts grouse and pheasant down the saturday after thanksgiving. So life is good, both NE Mass and So NH stock birds and have lots WMAs as well as privite land open. Neither has any restrictions on my BP shotguns so I generally hunt birds until I either drop from exhaustion or the snows so deep I cant go.

Oregon has had leagal hunting on Sundays as long as I can remember, I do most of my hunting on Sundays but the last few years I have not killed an animal on Sunday,,, I did not plan it that way it just worked out, maybe a subconscious effort at getting religious?

Bigbore the only reason you can buy booze now on Sunday is the pols were sick of seeing that money come up here :crackup:.

Now remember to tell your other friends that hunt up here on Sundays that skidder season is closed to all hunters. :(

I take it that some idiot from Boston thought that a skidder had antlers and had dreams of roast Caterpillar au jus.

I am origially from NH, living in Michigan now, but, back home we called 'em Massholes. There were folks in town that painted big orange letters spelling : C-O-W on the sides of their critters to protect them.

You can play golf on Sunday but you cannot harvest deer with either golf ball or club. Thus you can shoot at targets on Sunday, just not living ones.

In Virginia we are not supposed to hunt on Sunday. I thought the bible said that one should not work on the sabbath and was that not Saturday. The god I talk to is in the forest and I can make contact at any time without a preacher or church bld. I eat what I hunt and I hunt on my land when I feel like eating. It's my land as long as I pay the taxes. Damn the man and power to the people and all that stuff.

I'd never considered the possibility that one couldn't hunt on Sunday. What a crock; the damned blue laws just won't die.

In Virginia we are not supposed to hunt on Sunday. I thought the bible said that one should not work on the sabbath and was that not Saturday. The god I talk to is in the forest and I can make contact at any time without a preacher or church bld. I eat what I hunt and I hunt on my land when I feel like eating. It's my land as long as I pay the taxes. Damn the man and power to the people and all that stuff.

Bert if you will read the Bible and you are a Christian,you will find you should be like Christ and observe the Sabbath,rest and attend Church.As in St.Luke 4:16

In Missouri we can hunt on Sunday,but I choose not to because I feel that is time for the Lord.But I don't have a problem if people don't believe,I will Pray for them.

Blue Smoke

Anybody KNOW why such an issue is made about Sunday "Hunting"?

By contrast, I've never seen a similar comment about not doing anything else on Sunday...ie: we can all go "hunting for and kill fish" on Sunday.

Why is it any different to go "hunting for and kill a squirrel" on Sunday...of a deer? etc, etc, etc?

Anybody KNOW why such an issue is made about Sunday "Hunting"?

By contrast, I've never seen a similar comment about not doing anything else on Sunday...ie: we can all go "hunting for and kill fish" on Sunday.

Why is it any different to go "hunting for and kill a squirrel" on Sunday...of a deer? etc, etc, etc?

Roundball,.... Thet's a good question, 'cause today hunt'n and fish'n is largely considered "recreation and sport",.... while back in the "days" when the blue-laws were first enacted such things were probably considered as "work".

YMHS
rollingb

Like I previously mentioned earlier in the thread, some of it has to do the concept of sharing the public forests with other's engaged in recreation. Some people ride their horses, walk their dogs, ride mountain bikes and hike, etc...Hunting seasons are quite long, and the state wants to make sure the relatively small group of hunters don't monopolize all the land. The blue laws set the tradition, but there are plenty of modern reasons to not change the Sunday hunting prohibition here. Hunters often get bad publicity and this is seen as a way to not push the public even more toward being anti-hunting. I'm not taking sides, I'm just trying to explain why it always fails to pass here.
It holds true about liquor stores being closed on Sunday here as well. It's not so much about blue laws but about the public perception that more drunken drivers will be on the roads if they are allowed to open. Bars are open if someone wants to drink, but the mostly small independent liquor store owners are given the day off.

Like I previously mentioned earlier in the thread, some of it has to do the concept of sharing the public forests with other's engaged in recreation. Some people ride their horses, walk their dogs, ride mountain bikes and hike, etc...Hunting seasons are quite long, and the state wants to make sure the relatively small group of hunters don't monopolize all the land. The blue laws set the tradition, but there are plenty of modern reasons to not change the Sunday hunting prohibition here. Hunters often get bad publicity and this is seen as a way to not push the public even more toward being anti-hunting. I'm not taking sides, I'm just trying to explain why it always fails to pass here.
It holds true about liquor stores being closed on Sunday here as well. It's not so much about blue laws but about the public perception that more drunken drivers will be on the roads if they are allowed to open. Bars are open if someone wants to drink, but the mostly small independent liquor store owners are given the day off.

Actually, I was more following up on previous posts referencing religion...the origins of blue laws are deeply rooted in religion, and have been in place for at least a half century that I'm aware of and probably decades and decades before that...was curious why there seemed to be such religious association to Sunday hunting but not the taking of any/all creatures of the streams, rivers, oceans, etc.

Modern bikers and hikers may well be a consideration today for those few remaining holdout states, but they weren't the rationale way back when blue laws were originally established.

One stated reason is to allow the public to reclaim access to the state forests for recreation since hunters are a minority. Another is to give the animals a chance to have a "day off". Also, to give residents some peace and quiet from gunfire on their day off. I'm sure the leftover blue laws ethic plays a role too, since even the liquor stores close.
My preference is NO Sunday hunting for these reasons. Give the landowners a chance to enjoy their lands and let everyone have a day without gunfire. I'm sure it gives the animals a break as well. We hunters already have enough enemies. If you want to hunt, as I do, get out there on a Saturday or take a day off. Everyone should be able to get in the woods for a walk, to ski or snowshoe or run their dog without worrying about hunters. Let's share or we'll become even more politically incorrect!
Finnwolf

With all the extra laws we have such as FOID cards and such, I'm sure glad Illinois didn't make that list.
As far as religion, I believe in F & S . Field and Stream . That's hunting and fishing time in God's country.

It has been suggested/threatened that allowing Sunday hunting in PA will lead many landowners to close their land to hunting all together. But I'd sure love to get out there.

Back