• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sunday Hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticap

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the DEP because I wanted to know if there had been any movement regarding the Sunday hunting initiative that has been causing annual waves here the past several years. Nothing's been enacted. This proposal started several years ago but has always been rejected for many reasons. At some point the focus may have been narrowed to just include Sunday bowhunting. The latest version proposed this past year was to only allow Sunday bowhunting in our most deer infested county of Fairfield which is in proximity to NYC and has virtually no public hunting land. (This county was also granted a special bowhunting season extension from Sept. 15 - Jan. 31 which is unprecedented here).
I know Rhode Island has allowed Sunday hunting in most of the state for a long time. What I would like to ask is:
1. Does your state allow any kind of Sunday hunting?
2. All factors considered, would you personally support any Sunday hunting in your state and why or why not? :hmm:

1. Does your state allow any kind of Sunday hunting?
2. After all factors are considered, would you personally support any Sunday hunting in your state and why?

1. No.
2. Yes, to have additional hunting days in total during a season, and/or to have flexibility in choosing different days to hunt on a weekend when conflicts arise with the current Saturday-only weekend day.

no PA doesn't have sunday hunting cause of the blue law....it has to do with religion....it's one of the handfull of states that have this law....PA has been talking bout it....but..........bob

In general Michigan allows Sunday hunting. I think there may be a county or two that have locally prohibited Sunday hunting, but I am not sure if they still do.
I see nothing wrong with Sunday hunting. How better to commune with your God than to be out in the woods? :front:

:agree: Why not hunt on Sunday?

There are a few Michigan townships that don't allow Sunday hunting, check the regulations to verify your area of intended hunt prior.

Here is one additional question for all to consider:
3. Would you or your state be more likely to support a Sunday hunting proposal if it was limited to private land only? :thanks:

Pennsylvania does not allow hunting for game animals on Sunday, however it is allowed for coyoyes, foxes, groundhogs, crows, etc.

I would definitely support hunting on Sunday. We our trying to encourage young people to hunt but we prevent them from doing it on half of their days off.

I don't know how PA would feel about private land only Sunday hunting, but then I wouldn't be real concerned about getting the Legislation passed either.

What othern said. Sunday is a great day to hunt, as I work quite a few saturdays.

The major problem in Michigan is that our regular firearms deer season is Nov. 15-30, and that includes Thanksgiving. While the state lets me hunt that holiday, the wife and kids won't. If a guy could risk the divorce attorney's attention, he could load up the flintlock Nov. 15 and hunt right through until Dec. 18, missing just Dec. 1, which for some reason is closed. By moving about to an area allowing a late firearms hunt for antlerless deer he could still be hunting Jan. 1. Late November can get pretty chilly in Michigan. graybeard :front:

Hunting on Sundays has always been legal here in Missouri. I just go before or after church.

I don't believe Maine allows Sunday hunting, or it seems they didn't last time I hunted there in the mid-90's. I was a little surprised to learn that. Then I learned that a few other eastern states didn't allow Sunday hunting either.

I have no problem with it either way but if Sunday hunting weren't allowed here I'd certainly support opening it.

I hunt Louisiana and South Carolina. Both permit Sunday hunting. Always have as far as I can remember.

CS

Absolutely! The blue laws are interesting. I recall that there is a story from Sunday school in which a person was chastised for working the field on Sunday. The folks doing the chastising were of the belief that Sunday should only be for worship and rest. The parson in the story explained how the people working the field to feed their family should not be chastised, but the business man selling goods should be chastised for selling on Sunday. (of course, if his family was hungry, I bet that the story would change there too.)

Since very few of us are subsistence hunters, that was a lot of typing that means nothing. I see nothing wrong with hunting on Sunday as I find being in the woods very spiritual (which keeps with the intent of the blue law) and I am relaxing (which follows the religious intent)

Now, I know that I mentioned the taboo subject of religion, but I tried to keep it as benign as possible. It is unavoidable in this subject as the reason for the law is clearly based on religion...

One stated reason is to allow the public to reclaim access to the state forests for recreation since hunters are a minority. Another is to give the animals a chance to have a "day off". Also, to give residents some peace and quiet from gunfire on their day off. I'm sure the leftover blue laws ethic plays a role too, since even the liquor stores close.

Here in Massachusetts, it has been against the law to hunt on Sunday for over 100 years. The only exception is that you can hunt on private shooting preserves for upland game that is stocked on the property.

The idea of the blue laws is a joke. When I was a kid, it sort of meant something.No one worked on a Sunday and almost all businesses were closed. Now, many stores and businesses are open on Sunday and you can buy liquor here after 12:00 Noon.

What I object to is that someone can play golf on Sunday but I cannot hunt. To me that is very discriminating.

Colorado allows hunting on Sunday. Actually, I am amazed to find that some states outlaw it. Egad! This is the year 2005 fer Crisakes. One thing I am wondering about for the states that don't allow it...if it is the work/recreation thing re religion...how do they then figure it is ok for the game warden or whoever is supposed to enforce this goofy law to work on a Sunday? As far as "giving the animals a day off"......LOL Come on now..who dreamed that one up, PETA?

To the best of my knowledge, the states that prohibit Sunday hunting are:

Massachusetts( except on upland game preserves)
Maine
Connecticut( except on upland game preserves)
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Delaware
Maryland( some exceptions on unprotected animals like woodchuck, nutria and some deer hunting in certain areas)
North Carolina( except some federal installations)
West Virginia( except deer hunting is allowed on 14 counties on private land)

Anyone with more information please correct me.

Back