• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sunday Hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Actually, I was more following up on previous posts referencing religion...the origins of blue laws are deeply rooted in religion,"

It is an interesting example of the seperation of church and state concept that our countrys laws were built upon.

Everyone should be able to get in the woods for a walk, to ski or snowshoe or run their dog without worrying about hunters. Let's share or we'll become even more politically incorrect!
Finnwolf

Share? Give me a break! We only get a short period of the year to hunt. Everyone else gets the whole rest of the year to enjoy their woods activities! Why can't they share the woods for this short period of the year?

Personally, I think that the no Sunday hunting rule is just part of the hierarchy's way of trying to make hunting a rich mans sport. The poor working stiff only has the weekends off from work & in some areas are only allowed to hunt one of those two days off while the "well to do" can afford to hunt any day that he pleases.
:m2c:

Share? Give me a break! We only get a short period of the year to hunt. Everyone else gets the whole rest of the year to enjoy their woods activities! Why can't they share the woods for this short period of the year?

:thumbsup: I think thet's a very note-worthy point!! :redthumb:

YMHS
rollingb

So what is so wrong with being Politically Incorrect??? Hell..that is one of the things I pride myself on. I love being PI. Really...why anyone would want to follow those folks like a puppy is way beyond me.

NY now allows it. There used to be (15 years ago?) a line of seperation along the boundry of the southern Adirondacks where Sunday Hunting was allowed or not. The reason for opening it, as I remember, was to increase hunting; which has been declining, I am told. This year the regular season opener is moving to a Saturday (had always been a Monday) for the same reason.

Everyone should be able to get in the woods for a walk, to ski or snowshoe or run their dog without worrying about hunters. Let's share or we'll become even more politically incorrect!
Finnwolf

Personally, I think that the no Sunday hunting rule is just part of the hierarchy's way of trying to make hunting a rich mans sport. The poor working stiff only has the weekends off from work & in some areas are only allowed to hunt one of those two days off while the "well to do" can afford to hunt any day that he pleases.
:m2c:

I've worked 10 hours a day,6 days a week,no vacation,for 30 years.Still found time to hunt and fish.And still found myself in my Fathers House once or twice a week worshiping him.For without him I would have nothing.

Blue Smoke

This is not directed at you blue smoke, yours was just the closest reply button to click on.

Now I find myself in church on the order of 4-7 times a week. Sometimes to worship, sometimes to teach, sometimes to help run the place. I still wind up hunting on Sundays on occasion.

I had never even thought of not huntin on Sun. until I lived in Mass. for a couple of years.

I remember when MN hunting season was only 3 days long. I was a pre-hunting-age kid then. That was one weekend that we could always count on havin' a lay-preacher, as the man hired for the job would be takin one of his vacation days to be out in the woods.

Of course the man speakin that Sun. was usually just talkin to us kids and some of the wimmen.

Hunting is allowed, but you can not buy beer until after 1:00 pm. I guess it cuts down on the drunks in church. :kid:

Scott,

This is not really a reply to you..but you were the last post. That said...those states that do not allow hunting on Sunday...do they allow fishing on Sunday? What I am getting at....is this a religous thing...or does it have to do with the state gov't? Seems to me...hunting, fishing...and the allowing of it...state regulated...religion has no place in setting those rules IMO.

Scott,

This is not really a reply to you..but you were the last post. That said...those states that do not allow hunting on Sunday...do they allow fishing on Sunday? What I am getting at....is this a religous thing...or does it have to do with the state gov't? Seems to me...hunting, fishing...and the allowing of it...state regulated...religion has no place in setting those rules IMO.

Oomcurt,.... Kind'a brings into question, "seperation of church and state",.... doesn't it?? :hmm: :thumbsup:

YMHS
rollingb

as weird as it sounds could the origanal trigger have been noise related ::

i don't know your states well enough but is the ban in ones which have a greater density of people?

the alcohol one is certainly in effct in various countries (triggered by religion) but the hunting seems to be yours alone (usa). so a seperate trigger might make more sense???

The ban on Sunday hunting here in Massachusetts has been around for about 100 years. It was included in a set of laws that stated that Sunday is a general day of rest. So almost all businesses, factories, etc were closed. If you wanted something, you had better buy it on Saturday.

I remember as a kid, the only places open on a Sunday were drug stores, gas stations, hospitals and some restaurants. Our family hunted the neighboring state of New Hampshire on Sundays.

I want to say that Scotland does not allow Sunday hunting. In addition, Newfoundland, Canada does not allow it as well.

My state allows fishing on Sunday and I don't know of any ban on trapping either since I believe traps have to be checked every 24 hours. But there is another modern angle that may be conservationist in nature. We don't have any limitation on the number of deer permits issued except for the state land shotgun season. All private land permits, all bowhunting permits and all muzzle loading permits are unlimited and issued simply by requesting one. The only factor limiting the harvest is the length of the season and the no Sunday hunting policy also is a contributing factor toward limiting the number of days any hunter can spend afield. So, in a way the Sunday hunting ban helps to conserve the deer resource from being over hunted in any one season. Unlike fish, which are stocked and restocked for the most part. Whether this conservation angle is a factor in other states decisions whether to allow or not allow Sunday hunting is an open question since this state is rather small. But from my understanding, many western states have an overall limit to the number of deer tags made available in any one season based on herd surveys. Thus, a Sunday ban on hunting doesn't exist there to limit the deer harvest since that's done by limiting the number of permits made available. Most states have pretty good estimates of the hunter success rates for any given number of issued deer tags. In the larger deer population states, the Sunday hunting ban may also have many other reasons for it's continued existance, but conservation is probably one factor for any state to consider before they would eliminate the Sunday hunting ban, or whether or not to also allow the relatively unlimited issuance of deer permits.

Here in North Carolina, adding Sundays wouldn't matter regarding total take, as we get a set of 6 deer tags when we buy our license...and...I could use all six tags on the first three days of the season (max 2 deer/day) if I had the opportunities and wanted to, but then that would be it...my deer season would be over...I couldn't go buy more tags, etc...I think most/many Eastern/Central states are like that.

Ga. used to have a few counties that didn't allow hunting on Sun., and the ones that did had a law saying you had to hunt so many (forgot how it was worded) yards from a church.
Back then there was still a lot of quail and a lot of country churches back in the woods.

Ga. used to have a few counties that didn't allow hunting on Sun., and the ones that did had a law saying you had to hunt so many (forgot how it was worded) yards from a church.
Back then there was still a lot of quail and a lot of country churches back in the woods.

South Carolina had something similar...1000 feet as I recall...boy, that's something I really miss...back in the 70's I had a few seasons of quail hunting in South Carolina with a buddy who had a couple bird dogs...and there were still a fair amount of quail around back then too...post card settings...fields of broom sage, hearing the quail calling, seeing the dogs lock up...had some good hunts, good memories...

New Jersey has a bill right now for sunday bow hunting. It hasn't been approved as of yet. Also , because of sundays missed our waterfowl season has been extened.

As far as I know Sunday hunting has alwayse been allowed in Georgia. It may as well be allowed everywhere, going to car races or football games is allowed hunting is no worse than ether of these. As you know you can't legislate morals if a person is going to church they nwill be in church if not they wont be. :m2c: :results:

If people don't want gunfire, at least allow bowhunting on Sunday. Probably the wrong thing to say on a "smoker" forum..... Hey, let bowhunters AND muzzleloaders hunt on Sunday..Yep, sounds gooood!

Back