• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Lyman Model 61 pot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Crawford

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend gave me an old model 61 lead pot with a bottom pour. The set screw on the temp dial was messed up and it was missing a pin for the handle to bottom pour (both are fixed). It was very dirty so I masked up, took the pot outside and scraped the inside a bit to get rust and such out. Unfortunately I couldn't get the pot completely clean. Also, I couldn't get the rod free from the hole that drops the molten lead.
I am a newbie to lead casting and pots. I haven't done it at all yet. I'd appreciate some experienced guidance on cleaning the pot and freeing up the bottom pour.
I assumed I could heat it up for 20 minutes and that could melt what is holding it in place, but didn't know if that was right to do. I saw a few videos on YouTube but I am not sure of their accuracy.

Attachments

• 20230416_171924.jpg
    20230416_171924.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230416_171934.jpg
    20230416_171934.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
They are good old pots and capable of giving years of service but no parts are available. Do not heat it without some lead in it, it could burn up the elements or the thermostat. You can probably free the rod by putting some penetrant in the furnace and letting it soak. Disconnect the rod and gently tap it back and forth till it's free. Take it out and clean it well and clean the inside of the spout too. The wiring and connections inside the control box sometimes get corroded from the current and heat but are easy to clean. If you have to replace any wiring in there go to an electrical supply house and ask for stove wire, get some of the slip on insulation for it too while you are there. I've been told you can replace the thermostat with one from an electric baseboard heater but have no way to confirm.

Last edited:
I would give WD-40 a shot as I always have plenty on hand. Put about a quarter inch in the pot and leave it for several days. There are penetrants out there that will probably work better (read faster) but I buy WD-40 by the gallon and always have it to hand so I use it regularly for everything.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back