• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stuck cone

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a cylinder from which I was able to remove 5 cones, but the 6th is just stuck; I have soaked in penetrating oil for days, as well as heated the cylinder (specifically the cone area), and I just cannot get the cone removed with my quality 5mm socket nipple wrench (and with the cylinder firmly placed in a cylinder block in the jaws of my bench vise). What other remedies have worked for you before?

Yes, just some patience. penetrating oil soaking. Check every few days until unstuck. Might take a couple more days or weeks depending on amount of rust it has to get through. Also might try cylinder in freezer overnight. Put front of cylinder in hot water while wrenching still cold nipple. Sounds strange but worked for me once...c

took a nipple out of an 1839 enfield barrel. it was eroded so much there was no where for the wrench to grab. Soaked it for a month in Ed’s red, warmed it up with a propane torch and put the vies grips on. it came out like it went in yesterday

Use the Kroil to get the max penetration that you can. Be patient. A night in the freezer, then a dunk in warm water causes the cylinder to expand faster than the nipple. I have an impact tool that I use in cases such as this.

When you go to remove those nipples, you need to secure the cylinder. I use two dowel that fit the chamber. Using opposite holes, I place the dowels in a heavy bench vise with the cylinder above the jaws of the vise. Then you can tap away with your impact tool. I used a 5 mm hex socket to make a nipple wrench to be used in my impact tool.

I found my impact tool at Harbor Freight some years ago and no longer on the shelves. With these tools, you only want to tap and turn once you have the tool turned to apply impact type torque to the stuck part.

.View attachment 51134
Expand the quote to see my impact tool. No longer in stock at Harbor Freight. But the effect of the impact is what broke the nipple loose. Searches on Amazon and Ebay can find a similar tool. In fact with your 5mm tool, using the cylinder on dowels in a vise, tapping and turning may work too. The impacts are known to break loose rusted threads.

If you have a drill press you can use it to assist in the removal. Place the cylinder on a couple of dowels clamped in a drill press vise. Cut a nipple size notch in a 1/4 inch socket and load it on a 1/4" drive in the drill press. Bring the socket over the nipple and and hold it tightly with the drill press ram and turn the socket by hand. The pressure will help keep the socket in place and hopefully it will come loose. That is the only way I got a badly stuck nipple loose.

The acetone in eds red seems to really do the job. I was given a gallon of what was labeled military grade penetrating oil. When i run into a really tough one i add acetone and it works like magic. Pulled rusted breech plug from an early dutch fowler with it.

Equal parts Acetone and Power Steering Fluid work the best for me. Heating and cooling cycles help because the individual parts expand and contract at different rates which helps the penetrating oil get in there. Light tapping on the nipple while applying turning forces induces shock waves that vibrate the two parts at different frequencies, also helping to separate the two parts. Applying a little tightening force also helps - back and forth, like rocking a car out of a snow drift. Once some movement has been achieved, don't force it - just rock it back and forth which gets more of the penetrating oil where it's needed, and it'll move just a little farther each time. Eventually it'll just thread out.

Latest posts

Back