• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stripped screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

***Sean***

40 Cal.
Reaction score
My T/C Hawken .54 Cal has one screw that holds the trigger in place. I have had problems with it loosing up in the past. I have some tooth pick pieces in there now. Seems to be holding for now. Anyone have some ideas for a better fix?

TIA
Sean

Sean, I take it you talking about a screw seating into wood and not a machine screw into tapped metal.

I have had this problem myself several times. The next time your at a hardware store pick up a 1/4 inch wood dowel. Remove your trigger, and drill out the stripped screw hole with a 1/4 inch drill the depth of the screw. Cut off a piece of the dowell the depth of the hole and glue back into the hole. After the glue sets up, poke a pilot hole in the new wood and reset your screw. This fix is low cost and the best way to make a repair.

At some stores you can get different wood such as walnut or maple dowels to match the wood of your stock.

Good luck with your repair

Joe

Take a 3/16" or 1/4" drill bit and bore out the screw hole about 3/8" deep, then glue in apiece of dowel rod, face off flush to the surface and you've got new wood to re-thread the screw into.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

I take it that its a wood screw, in that case dill a larger hole where the old screw hole is and turn or carve a plug from a piece of hard wood to fill the hole. Glue the plug in, I prefer to use wood glue, when the glue is dry trim up the plug and remark your screw hole. Drill a pilot hole in your plug where your screw goes and Bob's your uncle. :thumbsup:

For got to mention that..Yup, it threads into wood. I like the dowel idea :hmm: It would be hidden under the trigger.

If this is a brass screw, purchase a steel replacement while you are at the hardware store and throw the brass one away.

There is much that I like about T/C, but brass screws are not on that list.

CS

Does anyone make a "kit" of screws for the TC Hawken? The brass is OK - I don't disassemble that part much - but I like the contast of blued steel.

What Crackstock said. Dixie GW, TOW, and I think MLBS, all offer steel screws. You may find what you need at a local hardware, but straight slot wood screws, especially with low oval heads, are getting hard to find. Brass screws were not normally used in original guns as they are too soft. TC's brass screws seem to be brittle for some reason.

You could hog out the hole a little and use glass bedding or epoxy. Make sure you have a good reliese agent on the screw. This will give a better hold than wood.Go here for screws with ovol heads, screws get a box of 100 for around $12 and share with the rest uf us.

Thats a good idea too. What could I use as a release agent? I also considered a longer screw. Ill bet the one in there is a 1/2 long and it had fine threads. I have only removed it one time just to clean and oil. Never over tightened it. Just started loosing up by itself, I dropped it one day and that was it completely stripped!! Had to tape it in place to finish my range session. :grin:

I use wax as a release agent. Hold the screw with pliers and heat it, then touch to a wax candle until the wax flows over the screw and let cool.

http://www.tennesseevalleymanufacturing.com/

I got a few bags of steel screws from Jack for $3.00 per bag. Each bag is supposed to be enough for a complete long gun. The only complaint is that he does not include the tang bolt as he only uses tang screws, so you must remember to order a tang bolt if you want one.

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replys Guys. I finaly got around to fixing it a couple days ago. I drilled it out and glued in a 1/4" dowel rod. It was already a steal screw so I reused it.

If the weather warms up I might get to the range. Its snowing in Texas!!! Whats up with that???

Had to do some plowing

snowplowing.jpg

Latest posts

Back