• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken Cougar Disassemble - Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgtlclose

32 Cal
Reaction score
All,

I feel a bit silly in asking this, but I'm working on refinishing a Hawken Cougar 50cal and I can't seem to see how the "lock plate" comes off the stock. I've watched several videos and searched some web sites but not much on the Cougar - other Hawken's it looks like it just unscrews from the opposite side and with a bit of back pressure the plate should push off. I can turn the main screw 1/2 turn easily and it feels loose then stops turning. I also see what looks to be a pin deep under the trigger (I've removed everything off the gun but the lock) but I can't seem to move / turn that and I don't want to force anything.

Anyone with experience in disassembling a Hawken Cougar? Anything different here?

Every TC side lock in existence has one lock bolt on the opposite side, someone may have cross threaded the lock bolt, other than that it should come out. You need nothing but a screwdriver to remove the trigger guard and triggers and everything else on the stock.

The pin you see in the trigger inlet is the sear for the lock, it is attached to the lock plate on the inside with a screw. It is the round piece sticking out at the back of the lock in the picture

trigger sear polished.JPG

I can turn the main screw 1/2 turn easily and it feels loose then stops turning.
Try a drop of oil on the lock plate side of the lock screw,, then work that screw back-n-forth a bit as you remove it, it's simply amazing how much folks neglect the lock and trigger(s) on these guns, they seem to think they need no care at all.
but as @Eric Krewson said, it's just like all other T/C, that screw will/should come out

Back