• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

striping a hawk handle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgreek

32 Cal.
Reaction score
what is the best way to stripe a hawk handle? I have tryed using masking tape and burning the wood in between the tape. It did'nt turn out as i wanted it too and, the tape was hard to remove after the torch got to it. :cursing: I have read that some gunsmiths used to stripe gun stocks using ink or dye. I don't know how to do this since iv'e never seen it done. Any ideas? thanks

I just took my propane torch and burned stripes or bands around the hawk. No tape or anything. It looked so go I decided to do my gunstock that way and it looks wicked cool.

Wrap it with copper wire, (8 ga. ground wire works good) don't be too neat so it looks like you did it. Then just play your torch over it, not holding it in one spot too long. The wire will get hot enough to scorch it (fingers too, if ya take it off too quick :grin: ). Then just buff it out with 00 steel wool and rub it down with a couple coats of boiled linseed oil and ya got it..Bud

I ended up cutting 3/16" strips of duck tape and wrapping the handle. I spaced them about the same distance apart some closer some alittle wider gap to make it look more natural. Of course the duct tape melted when i hit it with the torch but after it cooled I scraped all the melted tape off and wiped it clean using some goof-off. I rubbed in a few coats of linseed oil and the handle looks great. I'll try to get a few pics posted soon. thanks for all the suggestions.

I have used an old piece of sanding belt wrapped around the piece
pulled tight and torched the piece. You can control the width and it comes out even and you can reuse the belt many times. I like it for ram rods also.
Dusty :wink:

Latest posts

Back