• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Strap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a couple of images from George Townshend, 4th Viscount and 1st Marquess Townshend, who painted native American people (presumably British allies) from life sometime between 1751 and 1758:

Indian Dressed for War.jpg
War Chief.jpg

While Townshend did produce several additional images of Indians with trade guns and powder horns, these two give us the best look at the straps, and even these are not really very clear. However, it does appear to me that the horn straps shown are fairly wide and have some kind of ornamental pattern. My best guess is that they might be fingerwoven yarn.

I also noted that he very consistently showed the Indians wearing their horns quite high, and on the left side. With regard to period paintings as references, we have discussed "artistic license" and potential inaccuracies many times. However, I don't believe we should write them off entirely. I think Townshend's paintings, crude as they are, can be very informative.

Also, here is where to find a little more about "buffalo tugs" as horn straps (re post #20, above): Buffalo Trace Blogspot

I know that is a secondary source, but Nathan Kobuck, the author of the posts on that blog, is a meticulous researcher and I would consider him a reliable reference.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back