• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Straight rifle stock to pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Deer pistol thread has me working toward one. One of the options I am looking at is cutting a rifle to make one. There are several straight stock flintlocks available but I have not found one with a pistol grip stock. This gun will be for hunting not show. Function is more important than looks. That said I have looked at cutting a straight stock and making/modifying a pistol grip. I know from shooting modern big bore handguns that recoil is a given. I looked at a 50 caliber smooth bore flint pistol I have. Was going to replace barrel and use it. I don't trust the grain in the grip on it. That is also a problem with adding wood to the straight stock. Cut short as possible and wood added at cut would give most strength. Holding up to recoil over time is my concern. Anyone ever tried anything like this? Suggestions? I have hunted and killed deer with handguns for years. Want to use a flintlock this year. Like the rifle action because it can handle anything I can handle.

Google Mare's leg. You will see a lot of 30-30's cut down from a rifle. I am considering cutting a White Mountain Carbine, into that configuration.
I have already fired it with one hand and had no problem controlling it. I fired it with the butt stock under my arm pit and still had no problem controlling it. I shot a patched round ball and 50 grains of powder and shot a clover leaf at 25 yards. It has a 1 in 20 twist. I paid $90. dollars for it at a pawn shop.

To finish my thought's on this. I have looked at it from a traditional manner. There were blanket guns, buggy guns, and canoe guns. I believe rifles have been cut down in olden days just as today, in order to suit the need. Even a plains rifle is referred to as half stock. Even though it was purposely built as a half stock, it seems to be referencing what was once a cut down rifle. I have seen antique rifles that obviously been cut down. Maybe the stock was busted or the barrel was rusted, or maybe to make it shorter, for handling or use on horseback. So, I really don't think this is out of the ordinary even for traditional times.

It would be nice to find a flintlock with a pistol grip. I have looked at reinforcing the grip on the 50 caliber smooth bore flintlock handgun I have and rebarreling it. Maybe weld a metal strip to the breech plug long enough to reinforce the grip from the back. Need to get something going. It is August and I want to burn enough powder between now and November to be comfortable with whatever the build is.

I think you could extend the tang down the back of the grip and extend the trigger guard down the inside of the grip. It would be pretty strong, then.

I can get a 15" round 50 caliber blank that is 1 in 18" twist cheap. Finished length would be 13 to 14 inches at most after cleaning up ends, breech plug and cutting ball starter crown. A little shorter than I wanted but I could make do for the first season. Small deer under 50 yards are really not that hard to kill with proper bullet placement. Killing them over the years with carry guns has proven that to me. An old friend would say small deer were not much more than a over rated wild goat. As I get older I understand that better. The longer sight radius of a 15" barrel helps with old eyes using regular open sights. One reason for wanting a longer barrel than 12 to 13 inches.

Okay, you want function not appearance. I have seen some muzzleloading target pistols that have fiberglass stocks. I don't know where they come from but they are obviously out there somewhere. You just have to search for them. That way, you can use it to make a strong pistol that will handle recoil without damaging the stock. Ain't pretty but it is quite functional.

Wouldn't it be simpler to make a stock to fit your hand ? You can then choose lock & trim to your desire...Tom

Personally I would just build a pistol from the ground up rather than going the route of cutting down some rifle. For a very basic gun it doesn't have to be that expensive to build, if you go this route and there are plenty of folks here that can help you along the way.

If you aren't dead set on making it a flintlock an underhammer percussion pistol wouldn't be a bad way to go. MLB sells a Billinghurst action kit that could be the basis for a large underhammer hunting pistol. Last I looked these were only a bit over $100.00. I built one of these kits some years back and it didn't take too long to assemble.

I am set on flint, I can buy a barrel and lock, then build from scratch. Probably buy a straight stock flintlock and use the parts to build. Can pull measurements from stock to make one. Have enough wood from gun projects in years past to make a pistol stock. May be quickest and best way to go. Thanks for all advice.

I would make sure to start with a quality lock, a lot of commercial guns are lacking in this department.

I like the functional shape of the saw handle pistols, but I have seen some slight changes made to a Kentucky style pistol, that give it a longer less rounded grip. I agree, that a barrel over 12 inches would be better, for velocity, sight radius, and absorbing the recoil.

Latest posts

Back