• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock from scratch?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a traditions woodsman that I like. It’s nothing fancy but it works reliably & is very accurate. It came with newer fiber sights, which I appreciate more and more as I age. It’s also short and that works out very well in the dense jungle-like forest that I pack in to hunt most years. However, I like the look and feel of a full stock and this woodsman is a half stock. I thought about buying a new one but what I actually want is just this rifle in a full stock configuration.

Are there gunsmiths out there that do this kind of work? Assuming basic wood choice (plain maple or walnut and no carving) about how much would a custom stock run me?

Alternatively, how do-able is this for somebody with some basic woodworking skills? Any resources you’d recommend for getting started on that rabbit hole?

You're going to have more problems than figuring out how to whittle wood. The whole thing will have to be re-engineered and modified forward of the lock.
The under rib comes off easy enough — just screws holding that in. I’d need a second lug for the tenon, right? More than that?

You are basically asking a builder to build a new rifle using your hardware. That will be expensive. Order a cheap straight-grained pre-carved (no lock inlet)stock with your barrel channel and preferred profile. Then have a go at it yourself.

Last edited:
A question asked frequently. Cutting a new stock is essentially building a complete gun. Most are shocked when they hear the cost relating to the work involved. Far cheaper for someone to buy half a dozen planks and practice on their own.

A question asked frequently. Cutting a new stock is essentially building a complete gun. Most are shocked when they hear the cost relating to the work involved. Far cheaper for someone to buy half a dozen planks and practice on their own.
I don’t know what I don’t yet know. Thanks.

I have a traditions woodsman that I like. It’s nothing fancy but it works reliably & is very accurate. It came with newer fiber sights, which I appreciate more and more as I age. It’s also short and that works out very well in the dense jungle-like forest that I pack in to hunt most years. However, I like the look and feel of a full stock and this woodsman is a half stock. I thought about buying a new one but what I actually want is just this rifle in a full stock configuration.

Are there gunsmiths out there that do this kind of work? Assuming basic wood choice (plain maple or walnut and no carving) about how much would a custom stock run me?

Alternatively, how do-able is this for somebody with some basic woodworking skills? Any resources you’d recommend for getting started on that rabbit hole?
Probably would be too costly to pay someone; for the same money, sell that one, and buy a different already-made rifle with your preferred design.

Check our Bill Raby's videos on Rumble

He shows and explains how to build and is easy to understand

If you do not know what a hammer is or how to sharpen a blade, no problem. Learn what you need and keep going.

Or find what you want and buy it

Shoot what you got for now, and you may not want to get rid of it. Later on you may whine about letting it go.

Check our Bill Raby's videos on Rumble

He shows and explains how to build and is easy to understand

If you do not know what a hammer is or how to sharpen a blade, no problem. Learn what you need and keep going.

Or find what you want and buy it

Shoot what you got for now, and you may not want to get rid of it. Later on you may whine about letting it go.
Thank you. Yea, so far, this single rifle is responsible for all 3 of my coastal deer. I enjoy shooting others more. But this one is so compact that it's the only one that I can pack into that place. There's so much about it that is good that I dare not let it go.

Probably would be too costly to pay someone; for the same money, sell that one, and buy a different already-made rifle with your preferred design.
The rifle itself isn't worth that much. I got it for $200. And nobody I've come across yet makes what I'm looking for anyway. The best I can figure is to get something more like a Pedersoli scout in a smaller caliber, then have it re-bored to .50 with a 1:66 twist and put new sights on it. Why, in the name of all that is holy, they put a 1:32 twist on that gun is beyond my understanding. But, to be fair, I'm the guy putting fiber sights on antique-style rifles. That at least would get me close. Not great but close. I'd still prefer a hooked breach with tenons instead of a pinned barrel. So a full-stock Hawken with a shorter barrel is more of what would work, in theory. But who makes those?

The rifle itself isn't worth that much. I got it for $200. And nobody I've come across yet makes what I'm looking for anyway. The best I can figure is to get something more like a Pedersoli scout in a smaller caliber, then have it re-bored to .50 with a 1:66 twist and put new sights on it. Why, in the name of all that is holy, they put a 1:32 twist on that gun is beyond my understanding. But, to be fair, I'm the guy putting fiber sights on antique-style rifles. That at least would get me close. Not great but close. I'd still prefer a hooked breach with tenons instead of a pinned barrel. So a full-stock Hawken with a shorter barrel is more of what would work, in theory. But who makes those?
Something like this? 28 inch octagon rifle in .62?

Attachments

• IMG_2023-10-09-16-51-55-379.jpg
    IMG_2023-10-09-16-51-55-379.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0

I know many that can do the work, however its not cheap.

You’d have to find your blank, and i recommend getting your own and having someone work on it.

Pecatonica can take your barrel and fit it to one of their patterns, however you’ll have to find someone to do the rest.

Stock duplicating is money pit for most, the cost of the job is extremely high, Combortably Numb is pretty accurate on the final cost of it all.

My advice, sell the gun and buy what it is you really want.

If the original stock fits the parts well, you have a model from which to work. The last inches on a full stock are usually straight and should be easy to do. Get a piece of rather straight grain wood for your first attempt. A set of bench chisels, gouges and rasps should handle the task. Use a vise and keep your hands away from the direction of your cuts. If you screw-up, you still will learn.

Latest posts

Back