• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Storing BP in Freezer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamourkiller

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi! every one. I now have plenty of Black Powder and smokeless stored at my home.
I also have an extra freezer.
Would it cause a problem to store my powder in a running freezer? It seems perfect to me. No fire would get to it and the conditions are dang near perfect for long term storage.

If any one can think of a reason not to do this please let me know!

Take care

Hank

I would think even with the best of packing some moisture would creep into the powder .Best I can say take a can of powder and try it and if it doesn t work your only one can less and a little bit wiser.

Storing it in a freezer should work. The environment in a freezer is very drying so moisture shouldn't be a problem. I think that after you take a can out it should be allowed to warm to room temperature before you open the lid so that the cold powder doesn't suck in moisture from the warm room air.

Many Klatch

The freezer would be a controled enviorment as long as gunpowder was the only thing being placed into it, otherwise the opening and closing of the door for adding or removing food would allow moisture to be introduced into the freezer's chamber on a daily basis.

Hamourkiller said:
Yes, it would be for powder only.
If its going to be used for powder only, IMO there's no benefit to having it running...personally I'd just unplug it and use it as a fairly fireproof storage vault

Yes, there's a very good reason not to do it, and I'm absolutely shocked that the normally very astute folks on this forum didn't mention it:

The powder will take up valuable room needed for storing venison!

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. :nono:

:blah:

I don't think freezing powder would be a problem IF you : 1. Put the cans in zip lock bags, sealed, and 2. put some kind of desiccant ( available from hobby stores, hardware stores, Home improvement stores, etc.) in the bags with the cans. The Desiccant will remove any moisture in the bag, and also help suck out moisture that might be in the can of powder. The desiccant protects the cans from rusting during storage.

I would do this whether I was storing the powder in a freezer, or in a working refrigerator. Actually, the insulation for either a freezer or refrigerator is enough that the powder is going to stay cool and dry inside.

I suppose if the freezer was sitting on a concrete slab, out in a hot sun, that the temperature inside could rise too the 160 degree range, but this is way below the ignition temperature of Black Powder. And just because the inside of the refrigerator might get that warm, it doesn't necessarily mean that the powder in its container will also get that warm.

I would not store Opened cans or bottles of BLACK Powder in a working freezer or refrigerator. Once you open the can, you let air and moisture inside, and that moisture would be subject to freezing ON THE INSIDE OF THE CAN. When the can is removed, its likely to " melt, and contaminate the powder. Likewise, as someone else has already noted, I would not open up a can of powder that has been frozen until it has had time to warm up to ambient temperatures. Just removing the can from the freezer should produce frost on the outside of the can when placed in 70+ degree air temperatures. ( Think of frost that forms on the outside of a container of ice cream.)

I don't think freezing powder is necessary. Leave the space in your freezer for venison, and other game!

I double bag any powder I store- with the zip lock bags being put inside another bag- like a garbage bag-- which is tied shut before the package is placed in the refrigerator( or freezer).

A friend had the motor on his freezer stop working one Saturday night, and he had a mess to clean up the next morning, as everything he had in the freezer was melting, and water was streaming out the bottom of the freezer to his floor drain. He told me that he is not going to put stuff in his freezer again that is not double bagged, just to keep the moisture from ruining printed tags on other bags. He had a difficult time figuring out what he had after he moved the stuff to another freezer to save it all.

If I had a freezer, or old refrigerator, sitting in my garage, where its shaded, and the concrete slab under it helps to keep the garage cool, I would not bother turning them on if all I was storing there is powder. The cans would be bagged, as I have described above. :thumbsup:

while Paul's advice is well considered and no doubt better informed than most, i think that keeping black powder in a running freezer as a long term storage is 'guilding the lilly,' since the stuff is plenty stable and should do fine if kept dry (as he described, in double bags) and in a cool place, such as my several basements, over nearly twenty years.

haven't had BP go bad.

if you're going to go to the expense of running a freezer, fill it with something that needs freezing, like venison, or ice cream.

just one guy's opinion

I was wondering if it would make a difference myself. BP seems to last quite a long time. A recent mishap with a Civil War Canon ball collector shows that. But, if I had to do it, I'd vacuum seal them first.

BTW if the freezer is for BP only why even turn it on? Keep it closed with a moisture absorbing device like those used in a motorhome. You could padlock the freezer if you don't mind screwing a latch to it. My chest freezer actually has key lock built in. My upright doesn't though. I think it would offer some protection from fire as you say but a firesafe would probably better suit you.

There was a long thread on another forum years back about powder storage/vaults/safes/ect,,.
So I went to visit a childhood friend whom has been the Fire Chief in our large busy community (200,000 with 4 fire stations) for about 20 years to git his take on it. To my surprise he said they don't worry about powder or ammo at all! :(
After further discussion I told him I store my powder in GI ammo can's and he said,"Well ya can't beat old reliable can ya". He recommended to keep the ammo cans on the floor in a closet, and that was that.
The best Idea I have seen, is to build a simple box out of 2x4's, bottom, sides and top made dimentional to the cans with snug fitting joints. The idea was to create a thick enough layer of wood with limited air circulatin that fire would have to burn through before flame reached the cans. Just screw to pieces of 2x4 together and toss'm in a fire, after they've burned awhile take'm out, take'm apart, and you'll see the method behind the madness in this theory :wink:
I wouldn't put mine in the freezer. The lag time alone waiting for the temp swing proir to use would be inconveniant for me. When I want my powder, I want my powder when I want it. Not tommorrow.

:v "Freezer Burn" !! :grin: Let it warm up before opening the can or it will draw moisture.
It will keep forever, or until you shoot it. :v

My understanding is the solder on the can would melt before it was hot enough to ignite the contents. So I've been told but it could be one of those I heard it said things.

Black powder keeps just fine without the low temps. I would worry more about condensation when you take a can out. Right now, the moisture in the powder is evenly distributed throughout it. When you take it out, it's going to condense on the sides of the can and run into the powder, wetting some of it. Also, a freezer isn't that well protected from a fire. The insulation will generally melt and ignite fairly fast, as will the plastics. I'd just find a safe place in your house or garage and store it there. If fire is a worry, you can build an inexpensive "fire cabinet" from fire resistant sheetrock.

That freezer will run you about $300 a year to operate. I could find a lot better use that money. :wink:

Like another 25 pounds of powder delivered to my door. I store mine in a cool dry place and have never had a problem in half a century or so. And, as mentioned, the freezer is best filled with venison! :thumbsup:

Plink said:
Black powder keeps just fine without the low temps. I would worry more about condensation when you take a can out. Right now, the moisture in the powder is evenly distributed throughout it. When you take it out, it's going to condense on the sides of the can and run into the powder, wetting some of it. Also, a freezer isn't that well protected from a fire. The insulation will generally melt and ignite fairly fast, as will the plastics. I'd just find a safe place in your house or garage and store it there. If fire is a worry, you can build an inexpensive "fire cabinet" from fire resistant sheetrock.

I think that you are onto something here with both the freezer plastic/foam melting and the drywall "fire cabinet". Building codes give fire ratings for different combinations and thickness of drywall. The Gypsum Association shows that a double layer of 5/8" type X drywall will give a one hour fire rating for a wall. Since heat rises, it would seem that a multiple layer drywall "cabinet" built low in the house would be a good & inexpensive storage facility. :hmm:

The freezer isn't a bad idea but I wouldn't bother turning it on if it is in a cellar that stays fairly regular. Keeping it 70º or lower and dry is all you have to worry about. I keep mine on a high shelf in a central closet (not on an outside wall) and have kept powder there for years and years.

Back