• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stock duplicating?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI Smoke

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Have a GPR but notice now that Everyone does. :cursing: I want to do something different like change the stock to a real nice exotic. ( I know not PC, doesn't matter to me.) What kind of wood, who is good at it, Should I get the wood myself and ship it with the rifle? What would the cost be w/ orw/o wood?
Thanks to all in advance!!
WI Smoke

Swampy,
Because I don't have the money to buy a multi thousand dollar custom like you. Isn't the GPR a good enough gun for you. Am I less because don't My gun isn't good enough? I was asking a hypothetical question, becaus I have no clue what this type of thing costs reguardless of the type of gun it is going on.
WI

It can be a pricey thing, kind of like painting a '85 econoline van (like I did), but where the cost is really cut is when you do the work yourself.

I wasn't putting the GPR down, it's an old Tennessee expression. I've learned the hard way, it's better to sell the cheap gun, take the money it will cost to restock it, skip lunch 20 times, and buy something nice.

I have no idea what a stock would cost if you were going to have someone custom cut it.
If you are willing to settle for a very plain maple half stock, I think the wood would be somewhere around $70.

I'm pretty sure that someone like Dick Greensides at Pecatonica River would not be interested in duplicating a stock blank because he is rather busy cutting stocks for his (and others) business.

I have seen someone post that they know someone with a stock duplicating profiler but I don't recall who it was.
Hopefully, they will see this post and give you the name of someone to call.

It's just a guess, but I would think someone with such a machine might be willing to duplicate a stock for about $100 or so.

Wasnt a ad in MB for awhile if not still for duping a stock? Fred :hatsoff:

WI Smoke said:
Swampy,
Because I don't have the money to buy a multi thousand dollar custom like you. Isn't the GPR a good enough gun for you. Am I less because don't My gun isn't good enough? I was asking a hypothetical question, becaus I have no clue what this type of thing costs reguardless of the type of gun it is going on.
WI

Smoke, just ignore the negative...it's the same old tired contribution that always gets made regardless of what the topic is...negative comments never carry any positive value.

Here's a site that might be able to do it for you, or refer you to someone/someplace that can...when I discussed different stock possibilities for TC Hawkens he said he uses a stock duplicator machine...don't know enough about them to know if the machine can be set up to dup a variety of stocks or if he was only referring to a TC Hawken stock duplicator...at any rate, you can give him a call...seems they have some gorgeous wood at reasonable prices.
[url] http://gunstockwood.com/products.html#top[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
WI Smoke said:
Have a GPR but notice now that Everyone does. I want to do something different like change the stock to a real nice exotic....WI Smoke

You can use most of the parts from your GPR and save quite a bit of money. You didn't say whether it was a flint or percussion. Can you do some of the inletting yourself.

There are a lot of pre-carved and 95% pre-carved stocks available that have the 15 /16 " barrel channel pre-cut.

You could in some cases buy a new lock but use everything else. If you just want to use most of your existing parts here are a few ideas for you:

* An English Sporting Rifle
* A German Yeager
* A Fowler with interchangable rifle and shotgun barrels

I'm not sure, but I think that the locks on the GPR are about the same size as those on the Thompson Center Hawken.

Call Track of the Wolf, and ask them for suggestions about a new stock, depending upon your skill level. Pecatonica was already mentioned and may have a few ideas too. If you can do some of the Lock and Trigger inletting yourself, Gun Stocks Plus has a wide variety of semi carved stocks.

Good luck with your project.

I Love the way this gun shoots I can always change locks triggers, etc so eventually it will be some beautiful bastardized creation that is unique to me. At what point would it not be considered a GPR?
Thanks to most for responding, If there is anymore info out there please share. Trying to be a BP info sponge!!! :bow: :blah:
WI

:v Considering the time it would take to restock your GPR would not time be better spent building a whole new gun? Then you would have twice the fun? Preshaped half stocks such as the Hawken start at about $60.00 from Muzzleloader Builders Supply. Parts for a custom built Half stock hawked would cost an estimated $500.00 and up.

I just bought this brand new TOW .58 caliber Hawken for $500.00.
000_1102.jpg

That's ridiculous Swampman. You should be put in jail as a horsethief! :nono:

Back to the original topic. If you like the gun and want to mess with it, go for it. I'd consider doing a job like that for $600 with nice wood provided. That's what it would cost to work from a blank or a decent pre-carved stock. It's just like building any other rifle- inlet the barrel, lock, triggers, buttplate, everything. The task is made more difficult in that the metal is already finished- so the maker cannot file the tang down to the stock profile, sand across it, stuff like that. Can't file the buttplate or sand across it to the wood. Harder to get a good fit of wood to metal than a scratch build.

Swampman, what I'd like to say to you won't pass in polite company.

Smoke, don't pay any attention to him, his favorite passtime is baiting people.

As for the GPR, its a grand rifle, and like anything can become more than the sum of its parts. For Example, meet Lucifer, a GPR that was a labor of love that I put together back in '82.

lucifer1.jpg

lucifer2.jpg

For more about Lucifer, click on this link:
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/19054/[/url]

grin.gif

CP

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go ahead and get the L&R replacement lock, aftermarket triggers, and then get TOW to fit it with a Green Mountain roundball barrel while you at it. Sell the old parts on ebay to recover some of the money. Fantasitc guns!!!!!!

Swampman said:
I'd go ahead and get the L&R replacement lock, aftermarket triggers, and then get TOW to fit it with a Green Mountain roundball barrel while you at it. Sell the old parts on ebay to recover some of the money. Fantasitc guns!!!!!!
At that point it would remind me of my favorite axe, which is the best one I've ever had. I've repaced the handle 4 times and the head onc't, but it's still the best danged axe I ever had! :rotf:

:rotf:

And to be sure we don't lose one of the central points here, it is that anyone can do whatever they choose to do...whether or not it carries the stamp of approval of the tiny little 1% of our society...

:thumbsup:

Back