• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WITHDRAWN 50 Cal. Kilber Colonial

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Please read full ad. This thing is not pretty, there are a ton of screw ups, but it shoots, and does its job. Once I got my woods runner kit this rifle wasn't my go-to anymore. Only reason for selling is I'd like to fund my next build. This was my first kit I put together, so please spare me the how dare you's.

Its Extra fancy maple, stained with iron nitrate, and about 6 coats of Laurel Mountain Forge Permalyn Sealer. Steel is liquid blued. 1/70 twist. 43.25" barrel.

First let's clear the room with the mess-ups, that way I waste nobody's time. First and most importantly around the barrel tang, and where the barrel lays in the stock at the breech, there is some patch work with Acra glass, I shaved off too much wood, and had to patch it. It's a messy job, but it works, and got rid of gaps (see pictures.)
The lock. When it came to assembling the lock into the stock, the upper hole got a bit cock-eyed, so now when you go to put the lock in, you have to first start that bolt, then start the second one (it lines up fine) and it pulls the lock in sort of speak, sounds goofy but that's the way she goes.
In the pictures you can clearly see the big bald spot with no stain around the lock bolt plate, how I missed that several go rounds with stain beats the heck outta me but it happened ha-ha! Lastly, I believe on one of the barrel pins I accidently chipped some wood while starting it in, but I dabbled some wood glue on it, and now that its stained you can't see it.

I'd like to apologize I know this may be a tough sell, but hey it's my first kit that I ever built so it's ugly. Working on getting better at these. If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you like I can give you my phone number in a PM and I can go over it with you in a clearer sense, or even FaceTime with you so you can see it in real time. I'm asking $1,000 plus shipping this is priced clearly because of its mess-ups. I told myself if I were the buyer what would I spend and I can say honestly not anything over this. I will ship it in a Kibler wood crate to ensure safe transport. Also, Mods if there is something in this post, I messed up on let me know this is my first posting.

Attachments

• IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
  • IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0482.jpg
    IMG_0482.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
  • IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Yep. Pretty she ain't, but if I didn't already have a simple cherry version of the .54 for hunting, I likely would be sending you a check. Much of it might be like what a simple gun in the Overmountain communitìes might have resembled few years after being built/restocked by and purchased from an apprentice or journeyman smith in the backcountry. There are indicators in the master smith records that the primary issue was whether it was safe and accurate enoough to sell. The quality and embellishment affected the price, sure, but a range likely was available, just like in the Moravian communities.
Personal point of view...

Please read full ad. This thing is not pretty, there are a ton of screw ups, but it shoots, and does its job. Once I got my woods runner kit this rifle wasn't my go-to anymore. Only reason for selling is I'd like to fund my next build. This was my first kit I put together, so please spare me the how dare you's.

Its Extra fancy maple, stained with iron nitrate, and about 6 coats of Laurel Mountain Forge Permalyn Sealer. Steel is liquid blued. 1/70 twist. 43.25" barrel.

First let's clear the room with the mess-ups, that way I waste nobody's time. First and most importantly around the barrel tang, and where the barrel lays in the stock at the breech, there is some patch work with Acra glass, I shaved off too much wood, and had to patch it. It's a messy job, but it works, and got rid of gaps (see pictures.)
The lock. When it came to assembling the lock into the stock, the upper hole got a bit cock-eyed, so now when you go to put the lock in, you have to first start that bolt, then start the second one (it lines up fine) and it pulls the lock in sort of speak, sounds goofy but that's the way she goes.
In the pictures you can clearly see the big bald spot with no stain around the lock bolt plate, how I missed that several go rounds with stain beats the heck outta me but it happened ha-ha! Lastly, I believe on one of the barrel pins I accidently chipped some wood while starting it in, but I dabbled some wood glue on it, and now that its stained you can't see it.

I'd like to apologize I know this may be a tough sell, but hey it's my first kit that I ever built so it's ugly. Working on getting better at these. If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you like I can give you my phone number in a PM and I can go over it with you in a clearer sense, or even FaceTime with you so you can see it in real time. I'm asking $1,000 plus shipping this is priced clearly because of its mess-ups. I told myself if I were the buyer what would I spend and I can say honestly not anything over this. I will ship it in a Kibler wood crate to ensure safe transport. Also, Mods if there is something in this post, I messed up on let me know this is my first posting.
I don't think it to be that bad, take it apart and sand the stock down and redo the whole thing, lots of wood there! There is a learning process in doing that, cheaper than buying another gun just to prove you can.

Looks like it’s all there and with some TLC will make it nice. It appears the front site is on backwards that’s a simple fix. It just looks like an old gun. Good luck

How much is a replacement stock? I'd order a plain stock (cheaper) with a wood patchbox and have another crack at it. Bill Raby shows how to make chipout repairs in some of his free build videos on Rumble.

How much is a replacement stock? I'd order a plain stock (cheaper) with a wood patchbox and have another crack at it. Bill Raby shows how to make chipout repairs in some of his free build videos on Rumble.
Ya know I don’t know. I was literally just on Jim’s website looking and didn’t see any. He has the discounted ones, but regular stocks I found none. I think I’m gonna give him a jingle today and ask, y’all have built up my confidence to maybe re-do this instead of replace. I appreciate that very much.

Ya know I don’t know. I was literally just on Jim’s website looking and didn’t see any. He has the discounted ones, but regular stocks I found none. I think I’m gonna give him a jingle today and ask, y’all have built up my confidence to maybe re-do this instead of replace. I appreciate that very much.
I saw him at the CLA show a couple years ago with a small forest of stocks. He has a great rep and no doubt would accommodate you.

Never toss a small chip or sliver you trim during a build. You might need it to patch an oops!. DAMHIKT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back