• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Refinish GPR stock or ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Firstly I come from an upbringing of synthetic stocks and more modern muzzleloaders so I am still very much unlearned when it comes to maintenance on wood finishes.

I have an old GPR stock that was kept in a damp safe for almost a decade and had a fair amount of mold when I reclaimed it a few months ago. I wiped it down with a cloth as best I could, but what is the next step I need to take? I really like the finish on this stock and am just curious if I need to clean more and what oil or wax is recommended? Or how can I preserve this coloration and provide a much needed resealing/touch up?
Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• A75730F4-B304-4C05-8E8E-A05651A0718C.jpeg
    A75730F4-B304-4C05-8E8E-A05651A0718C.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 6D7F2DBE-3E55-45A7-973B-3C5EB4BD389D.jpeg
    6D7F2DBE-3E55-45A7-973B-3C5EB4BD389D.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • B27F0962-7288-4D6A-AEF4-C5AA14699344.jpeg
    B27F0962-7288-4D6A-AEF4-C5AA14699344.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 2635C8C8-6619-4353-B9D8-0F1D8DD97C24.jpeg
    2635C8C8-6619-4353-B9D8-0F1D8DD97C24.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
That's nice looking wood. First off, just put inside your house so it can have a stable temperature and low humidity, maybe a corner in your living room. Let it dry out for a few weeks to a month. May not take that long, but long enough to dry. Then clean the surface with a few warm damp cloths and a little Dawn, continue wiping with a little warm water until clean and dry it off. Let it sit as before for a day or so and wipe it down with some boiled linseed oil, tru-oil, or a wood oil of your choice. The finish should come back from what I see in the photos.

That's nice looking wood. First off, just put inside your house so it can have a stable temperature and low humidity, maybe a corner in your living room. Let it dry out for a few weeks to a month. May not take that long, but long enough to dry. Then clean the surface with a few warm damp cloths and a little Dawn, continue wiping with a little warm water until clean and dry it off. Let it sit as before for a day or so and wipe it down with some boiled linseed oil, tru-oil, or a wood oil of your choice. The finish should come back from what I see in the photos.
Thanks for the advice! I’ve had it in a much nicer environment the last couple weeks than what it had unfortunately been left neglected in. I will do as you suggested and keep it around for a build

I would strip the stock with paint remover, I have refinished several TCs, this was always my first step, it always take me two coats of stripper to get all the finish off, I wash the stripper off with water hose, I use the puddy knife to push the bubbled-up finish off the stock. Your stock will dry out much quicker with the finish off.

TC paint strip 1.JPG

A clean stock is always better to work with.

panel done.JPG

Sand it and sand it some more, lightly dampen the wood to raise the whiskers on your last two or three sanding's.

sanding raised grain.JPG

sanding removing the whiskers.JPG

On walnut you need to start with a grain sealer, I use Birchwood Casey walnut sealer, put it on and sand it back to bare wood several times until the grain pores are no longer visible.

After sealing the wood you can put any kind of finish you like on it, I use Tru-oil, cheap and easy to obtain. Put it on with a small square of green scotch bright pad, scrub it in and quickly remove the excess with a rag after each coat and you will end up with a nice satin finish.

finish 5 coats.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back