• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

stitching "pony"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cam lever was made out of hickory only because I needed something thicker than the maple that I used for the pony. Make it out of something that is tough to resists the force and not break out the end where the cross bolt is. The cross bolt is made from 1/2" diameter cold rolled steel and threaded for 5/16X18 TPI to accept the 5/16" carrage bolt. I saw this on Youtube so it's not my idea. The wedge block spreads the jaws apart to insert the leather. The jaws have 3/16" valve cover gasket material (cork/rubber mix) glued on.

I like it SMO. I think I will make one like yours for thinner leather. I use mostly 8 to 11 oz leather but for bags I have 3-5 oz leather and that's what your pony would be great for. My "heavy duty" model only cost a shade under $12 to build - wood and all.

Nice!

I would make one minor change.

As short as your base is, it is likely to be uncomfortable if you hold it between your legs. You might fasten the bast to a longer strip of wood with rounded edges for comfort.

Indeed! this pony would not work well being held between the legs....I built it to sit on the floor with my feet on the base.

I do sit on it but it only goes under one leg (yes I do have both). I sit on the couch watching TV and do my sewing. The jaws will rotate 360 deg. so I can see where to poke the awl & needles - works fine for me :hatsoff: . Sorry I removed the image from Photo Bucket - too much clutter.

Back