• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stirrup replacement ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
'morning,

In the near future, I'm going to be replacing the stirrup and mainspring on a friend's ArmiSport 1861 Springfield. Any tips or tricks for the stirrup?

The stirrup is actually missing on this musket. He brought it to the last event of the year, along with a new mainspring, because the old spring broke at a prior event (I'm the only one who brings parts and tools to most events). When I pulled the lock, I noticed the stirrup and pin were gone. No damage to the tumbler, so I'm not sure how/when it went AWOL. I asked him, and he had all the parts that came out (just the broken mainspring). For obvious reasons, I couldn't put the new spring in. I've never had a stirrup "go missing", and haven't had to replace one before.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

Thanks Zug - he's got the parts, I've just never replaced a stirrup before. Hoping for some hints on that aspect.

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks Pete! Yup, I've another lock that I'm going to use as a reference to make sure I've got the alignment right. I'm just not willing to pull one of mine apart to play with it as a learning experience.

Any idea if I need to pull the tumbler, or can the pin be inserted from the "inside" of the lock? I'm not sure if there's a shoulder on the plate side of the pin. Although I'll obviously find that out when my buddy brings everything for me to work on it...

Thanks,
Mike

Latest posts

Back