• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished assembling a Wilson flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich pierce

70 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a set of flintlock castings listed as part #600 from The Rifle Shoppe (TRS) which they call a Wilson Trade Gun lock. Note that it has features that indicate a much higher quality lock - internal bridle and a boss for the front lock bolt, for example.

As with many sets of castings, there’s some fiddling around to be done. In this case I forged a new mainspring to improve speed and sparking, and had to make a few screws, modify the top jaw bolt, open up the frizzen spring, and so on. But I’m very happy with it overall. The holes were spotted perfectly and the tumbler was very true as cast.
IMG_1926.jpeg
IMG_1927.jpeg

Nice work!
Just a question- not a criticism
Is the spring engaging the tumbler a bit too close to the end?
Good question! If I extended the hook further it would push against the tumbler axle at half and full cock. I sure wish the tumbler had a longer toe! I found the tolerances to be very tight.

Back