• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stiff frizzen & shattering flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Chaps,

First visit to this forum, and I'm hoping you can lend some experience to me.

I have recently purchased a reproduction baker rifle to use in my re-enactment group (5/60th royal American rifles), but I'm experiencing a few problems:

1) each time I pull the trigger, bits of the flint and flying off and chipping away. I'm getting sparks for two or three hits but then nothing after

2) the frizzen feels slightly stiff and the face of it is getting scratched and blurred each time the flint hits it.

I'm using top quality flints, and have used flints from various suppliers but still experience the same problems no matter what flints I use. The rifle is brand new, but I'm not receiving any support from the supplier, which hasn't helped things.

Any feedback or advice is warmly welcomed, and I hope you can put smile on a slightly cranky englishmans face! :)

Thanks
Sounds to me like the flint is hitting the frizzen instead of scraping down it, and the frizzen is a bit too soft

Back