• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sticker stain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm working on a stock with a great deal of "grey stain" (like "sticker stain" but following the lines of the grain). I've tried bleaching it out with oxalic acid; it is lighter, but still there.

Stock is sanded, I mixed some Dangler's stain with water to raise the grain. The stain really makes the grey stain stand out. Any suggestions for dealing with it other than staining the wood black?

Back to the shop . . . .

Perhaps a mineral streak in the tree the stock was cut from. Just a S.W,A.G. If this what it is just saying; even staining it black it will show.

"Grey stain" is an enzymatic oxidative stain, not mineral streaks (though this stock has enough mineral streaks it looks like it stood in the corner next to a spittoon). As I wrote in the original post, the stain made the areas of grey stain more pronounced. Using ferric nitrate or some other dark stain to hide the grey stain might be an option, it just isn't to my taste.

1950Dave, the wood is a piece of plain red maple (a wood known for such problems).

Did wood floors for more than 30yrs, stains such as you have were common in some grades of flooring. We referred to it as blue stain as opposed to mineral streak which tends toward black rather than gray. Most every oil stain used over blue stain tended to make it indistinguishable. Mineral streak is not as easily hidden.
I don't have a pic of the stain I tried on this blank but a med. brown hid the blue stain on the spalted maple.
Here it is wet with solvent.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 0
Back